Introducing An Antibiotic Stewardship Program In A Humanitarian Surgical Hospital
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAntibiotic stewardship program (ASP) implementation in humanitarian settings is a new endeavor. Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières introduced an ASP within a hospital in Amman, Jordan, where patients from Iraq, Syria, and Yemen with chronic, often multidrug-resistant, infections related to war are managed. Antibiotics were reviewed, and real-time recommendations were made to optimize choice, dose, duration, and route by a small team. Over the first year of implementation, acceptance of the ASP's recommendations improved. When compared with the year prior to implementation, antibiotic cost in 2014 declined considerably from approximately $252,077 (average, $21,006/month) to <$159,948 ($13,329/month), and a reduction in use of broad-spectrum agents was observed. An ASP in a humanitarian surgical hospital proved acceptable and effective, reducing antibiotic expenditures and use of broad-spectrum agents.
- Effects of various antimicrobial stewardship programs on antimicrobial usage and resistance among common gram-negative bacilli causing health care-associated infections: A multicenter comparison.
- Authors: Lai CC, Shi ZY, Chen YH, Wang FD
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Infection reduction strategies including antibiotic stewardship protocols in surgical and trauma intensive care units are associated with reduced resistant gram-negative healthcare-associated infections.
- Authors: Dortch MJ, Fleming SB, Kauffmann RM, Dossett LA, Talbot TR, May AK
- Issue date: 2011 Feb
- A multidisciplinary antimicrobial stewardship programme safely decreases the duration of broad-spectrum antibiotic prescription in Singaporean adult renal patients.
- Authors: Cai Y, Shek PY, Teo I, Tang SS, Lee W, Liew YX, Chlebicki P, Kwa AL
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Role of antimicrobial stewardship programmes in children: a systematic review.
- Authors: Araujo da Silva AR, Albernaz de Almeida Dias DC, Marques AF, Biscaia di Biase C, Murni IK, Dramowski A, Sharland M, Huebner J, Zingg W
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Introducing an antibiotic stewardship program in a pediatric center in China.
- Authors: Zhang ZG, Chen F, Chen JZ
- Issue date: 2018 Jun