Multidrug-Resistant Tuberculosis Treatment Failure Detection Depends on Monitoring Interval and Microbiological Method
van der Walt, ML
Van Deun, A
MetadataShow full item record
JournalEuropean Respiratory Journal
AbstractDebate persists about monitoring method (culture or smear) and interval (monthly or less frequently) during treatment for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB). We analysed existing data and estimated the effect of monitoring strategies on timing of failure detection.We identified studies reporting microbiological response to MDR-TB treatment and solicited individual patient data from authors. Frailty survival models were used to estimate pooled relative risk of failure detection in the last 12 months of treatment; hazard of failure using monthly culture was the reference.Data were obtained for 5410 patients across 12 observational studies. During the last 12 months of treatment, failure detection occurred in a median of 3 months by monthly culture; failure detection was delayed by 2, 7, and 9 months relying on bimonthly culture, monthly smear and bimonthly smear, respectively. Risk (95% CI) of failure detection delay resulting from monthly smear relative to culture is 0.38 (0.34-0.42) for all patients and 0.33 (0.25-0.42) for HIV-co-infected patients.Failure detection is delayed by reducing the sensitivity and frequency of the monitoring method. Monthly monitoring of sputum cultures from patients receiving MDR-TB treatment is recommended. Expanded laboratory capacity is needed for high-quality culture, and for smear microscopy and rapid molecular tests.
PublisherEuropean Respiratory Society
- Body mass index predictive of sputum culture conversion among MDR-TB patients in Indonesia.
- Authors: Putri FA, Burhan E, Nawas A, Soepandi PZ, Sutoyo DK, Agustin H, Isbaniah F, Dowdy DW
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Impact of the human immunodeficiency virus on early multidrug-resistant tuberculosis treatment outcomes in Botswana.
- Authors: Hafkin J, Modongo C, Newcomb C, Lowenthal E, MacGregor RR, Steenhoff AP, Friedman H, Bisson GP
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Predictors of sputum culture conversion among patients treated for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis.
- Authors: Kurbatova EV, Gammino VM, Bayona J, Becerra MC, Danilovitz M, Falzon D, Gelmanova I, Keshavjee S, Leimane V, Mitnick CD, Quelapio MI, Riekstina V, Taylor A, Viiklepp P, Zignol M, Cegielski JP
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Rapid impact of effective treatment on transmission of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis.
- Authors: Dharmadhikari AS, Mphahlele M, Venter K, Stoltz A, Mathebula R, Masotla T, van der Walt M, Pagano M, Jensen P, Nardell E
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Sublineages of Mycobacterium tuberculosis Beijing genotype strains and unfavorable outcomes of anti-tuberculosis treatment.
- Authors: Hang NT, Maeda S, Keicho N, Thuong PH, Endo H
- Issue date: 2015 May