MetadataShow full item record
JournalEmerging Infectious Diseases
AbstractDuring July-November 2014, the Democratic Republic of the Congo underwent its seventh Ebola virus disease (EVD) outbreak. The etiologic agent was Zaire Ebola virus; 66 cases were reported (overall case-fatality rate 74.2%). Through a retrospective observational study of confirmed EVD in 25 patients admitted to either of 2 Ebola treatment centers, we described clinical features and investigated correlates associated with death. Clinical features were mainly generic. At admission, 76% of patients had >1 gastrointestinal symptom and 28% >1 hemorrhagic symptom. The case-fatality rate in this group was 48% and was higher for female patients (67%). Cox regression analysis correlated death with initial low cycle threshold, indicating high viral load. Cycle threshold was a robust predictor of death, as were fever, hiccups, diarrhea, dyspnea, dehydration, disorientation, hematemesis, bloody feces during hospitalization, and anorexia in recent medical history. Differences from other outbreaks could suggest guidance for optimizing clinical management and disease control.
PublisherCenter for Disease Control
- Ebola virus disease in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Authors: Maganga GD, Kapetshi J, Berthet N, Kebela Ilunga B, Kabange F, Mbala Kingebeni P, Mondonge V, Muyembe JJ, Bertherat E, Briand S, Cabore J, Epelboin A, Formenty P, Kobinger G, González-Angulo L, Labouba I, Manuguerra JC, Okwo-Bele JM, Dye C, Leroy EM
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 27
- Outbreak of Ebola virus disease in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, April-May, 2018: an epidemiological study.
- Authors: Ebola Outbreak Epidemiology Team.
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 21
- 2017 Outbreak of Ebola Virus Disease in Northern Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Authors: Nsio J, Kapetshi J, Makiala S, Raymond F, Tshapenda G, Boucher N, Corbeil J, Okitandjate A, Mbuyi G, Kiyele M, Mondonge V, Kikoo MJ, Van Herp M, Barboza P, Petrucci R, Benedetti G, Formenty P, Muyembe Muzinga B, Ilunga Kalenga O, Ahuka S, Fausther-Bovendo H, Ilunga BK, Kobinger GP, Muyembe JT
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 18
- Ebola Virus Disease Outbreak in Isiro, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 2012: Signs and Symptoms, Management and Outcomes.
- Authors: Kratz T, Roddy P, Tshomba Oloma A, Jeffs B, Pou Ciruelo D, de la Rosa O, Borchert M
- Issue date: 2015
- Clinical Features of and Risk Factors for Fatal Ebola Virus Disease, Moyamba District, Sierra Leone, December 2014-February 2015.
- Authors: Haaskjold YL, Bolkan HA, Krogh KØ, Jongopi J, Lundeby KM, Mellesmo S, Garcés PS, Jøsendal O, Øpstad Å, Svensen E, Fuentes LM, Kamara AS, Riera M, Arranz J, Roberts DP, Stamper PD, Austin P, Moosa AJ, Marke D, Hassan S, Eide GE, Berg Å, Blomberg B
- Issue date: 2016 Sep