Is Adjunctive Naturopathy Associated with Improved Glycaemic Control and a Reduction in Need for Medications Among Type 2 Diabetes Patients? A Prospective Cohort Study from India
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWith an estimated 65 million Diabetes Mellitus (DM) patients, India ranks second in the world in terms of DM burden. The emphasis of current medical practice has been on pharmacotherapy but, despite the best combination therapies, acheiving glycaemic control (reduction of blood sugar to desirable levels) is a challenge. 'Integrated Naturopathy and Yoga'(INY) is an alternative system of medicine that lays emphasis on the role of diet and physical exercise. We assessed the short term effect of INY as an adjunct to pharmacotherapy on glycaemic control among type 2 DM patients.
- Glycaemic control and self-management behaviours in Type 2 diabetes: results from a 1-year longitudinal cohort study.
- Authors: Houle J, Beaulieu MD, Chiasson JL, Lespérance F, Côté J, Strychar I, Bherer L, Meunier S, Lambert J
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Adjunctive naturopathic care for type 2 diabetes: patient-reported and clinical outcomes after one year.
- Authors: Bradley R, Sherman KJ, Catz S, Calabrese C, Oberg EB, Jordan L, Grothaus L, Cherkin D
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 18
- Structured, intensive education maximising engagement, motivation and long-term change for children and young people with diabetes: a cluster randomised controlled trial with integral process and economic evaluation - the CASCADE study.
- Authors: Christie D, Thompson R, Sawtell M, Allen E, Cairns J, Smith F, Jamieson E, Hargreaves K, Ingold A, Brooks L, Wiggins M, Oliver S, Jones R, Elbourne D, Santos A, Wong IC, O'Neill S, Strange V, Hindmarsh P, Annan F, Viner R
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- A Randomized controlled trial of the effect of yoga and peer support on glycaemic outcomes in women with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a feasibility study.
- Authors: Sreedevi A, Gopalakrishnan UA, Karimassery Ramaiyer S, Kamalamma L
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 7
- Intensification of medication and glycaemic control among patients with type 2 diabetes - the ADVANCE trial.
- Authors: van Dieren S, Kengne AP, Chalmers J, Beulens JW, Davis TM, Fulcher G, Heller SR, Patel A, Colagiuri S, Hamet P, Mancia G, Marre M, Neal B, Williams B, Peelen LM, van der Schouw YT, Woodward M, Zoungas S
- Issue date: 2014 May