Mental Health and Trauma in Asylum Seekers Landing in Sicily in 2015: A Descriptive Study of Neglected Invisible Wounds
Van den Boogaard, W
Di Carlo, S
MetadataShow full item record
JournalConflict and Health
AbstractIn 2015, Italy was the second most common point of entry for asylum seekers into Europe after Greece. The vast majority embarked from war-torn Libya; 80,000 people claimed asylum that year. Their medical conditions were assessed on arrival but their mental health needs were not addressed in any way, despite the likelihood of serious trauma before and during migration. Médecins sans Frontières (MSF), in agreement with the Italian Ministry of Health, provided mental health (MH) assessment and care for recently-landed asylum seekers in Sicily. This study documents mental health conditions, potentially traumatic events and post-migratory living difficulties experienced by asylum seekers in the MSF programme in 2014-15.
- A crisis of protection and safe passage: violence experienced by migrants/refugees travelling along the Western Balkan corridor to Northern Europe.
- Authors: Arsenijević J, Schillberg E, Ponthieu A, Malvisi L, Ahmed WAE, Argenziano S, Zamatto F, Burroughs S, Severy N, Hebting C, de Vingne B, Harries AD, Zachariah R
- Issue date: 2017
- "I prefer dying fast than dying slowly", how institutional abuse worsens the mental health of stranded Syrian, Afghan and Congolese migrants on Lesbos island following the implementation of EU-Turkey deal.
- Authors: Eleftherakos C, van den Boogaard W, Barry D, Severy N, Kotsioni I, Roland-Gosselin L
- Issue date: 2018
- Policies of deterrence and the mental health of asylum seekers.
- Authors: Silove D, Steel Z, Watters C
- Issue date: 2000 Aug 2
- Asylum seekers in Denmark--a study of health status and grade of traumatization of newly arrived asylum seekers.
- Authors: Masmas TN, Møller E, Buhmannr C, Bunch V, Jensen JH, Hansen TN, Jørgensen LM, Kjaer C, Mannstaedt M, Oxholm A, Skau J, Theilade L, Worm L, Ekstrøm M
- Issue date: 2008
- Length of stay in asylum centres and mental health in asylum seekers: a retrospective study from Denmark.
- Authors: Hallas P, Hansen AR, Staehr MA, Munk-Andersen E, Jorgensen HL
- Issue date: 2007 Oct 11