Adapting to the Global Shortage of Cholera Vaccines: Targeted Single Dose Cholera Vaccine in Response to an Outbreak in South Sudan
MetadataShow full item record
JournalThe Lancet. Infectious Diseases
AbstractShortages of vaccines for epidemic diseases, such as cholera, meningitis, and yellow fever, have become common over the past decade, hampering efforts to control outbreaks through mass reactive vaccination campaigns. Additionally, various epidemiological, political, and logistical challenges, which are poorly documented in the literature, often lead to delays in reactive campaigns, ultimately reducing the effect of vaccination. In June 2015, a cholera outbreak occurred in Juba, South Sudan, and because of the global shortage of oral cholera vaccine, authorities were unable to secure sufficient doses to vaccinate the entire at-risk population-approximately 1 million people. In this Personal View, we document the first public health use of a reduced, single-dose regimen of oral cholera vaccine, and show the details of the decision-making process and timeline. We also make recommendations to help improve reactive vaccination campaigns against cholera, and discuss the importance of new and flexible context-specific dose regimens and vaccination strategies.
- The First Use of the Global Oral Cholera Vaccine Emergency Stockpile: Lessons from South Sudan.
- Authors: Abubakar A, Azman AS, Rumunu J, Ciglenecki I, Helderman T, West H, Lessler J, Sack DA, Martin S, Perea W, Legros D, Luquero FJ
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Neighborhood-targeted and case-triggered use of a single dose of oral cholera vaccine in an urban setting: Feasibility and vaccine coverage.
- Authors: Parker LA, Rumunu J, Jamet C, Kenyi Y, Lino RL, Wamala JF, Mpairwe AM, Muller V, Llosa AE, Uzzeni F, Luquero FJ, Ciglenecki I, Azman AS
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- The case for reactive mass oral cholera vaccinations.
- Authors: Reyburn R, Deen JL, Grais RF, Bhattacharya SK, Sur D, Lopez AL, Jiddawi MS, Clemens JD, von Seidlein L
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 25
- Considerations for oral cholera vaccine use during outbreak after earthquake in Haiti, 2010-2011.
- Authors: Date KA, Vicari A, Hyde TB, Mintz E, Danovaro-Holliday MC, Henry A, Tappero JW, Roels TH, Abrams J, Burkholder BT, Ruiz-Matus C, Andrus J, Dietz V
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Comparing alternative cholera vaccination strategies in Maela refugee camp: using a transmission model in public health practice.
- Authors: Havumaki J, Meza R, Phares CR, Date K, Eisenberg MC
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 21