Thiamine Deficiency in Tropical Pediatrics: New Insights into a Neglected but Vital Metabolic Challenge
MetadataShow full item record
JournalFrontiers in Nutrition
AbstractIn humans, thiamine is a micronutrient prone to depletion that may result in severe clinical abnormalities. This narrative review summarizes current knowledge on thiamine deficiency (TD) and bridges the gap between pathophysiology and clinical presentation by integrating thiamine metabolism at subcellular level with its function to vital organs. The broad clinical spectrum of TD is outlined, with emphasis on conditions encountered in tropical pediatric practice. In particular, TD is associated with type B lactic acidosis and classic forms of beriberi in children, but it is often unrecognized. Other severe acute conditions are associated with hypermetabolism, inducing a functional TD. The crucial role of thiamine in infant cognitive development is also highlighted in this review, along with analysis of the potential impact of TD in refeeding syndrome during severe acute malnutrition (SAM). This review aims to increase clinical awareness of TD in tropical settings where access to diagnostic tests is poor, and advocates for an early therapeutic thiamine challenge in resource-limited settings. Moreover, it provides evidence for thiamine as treatment in critical conditions requiring metabolic resuscitation, and gives rationale to the consideration of increased thiamine supplementation in therapeutic foods for malnourished children.
- Commentary: Thiamine Deficiency in Tropical Pediatrics: New Insights into a Neglected but Vital Metabolic Challenge.
- Authors: Leite HP, Peixoto de Lima LF, Konstantyner T
- Issue date: 2016
- Acute thiamine deficiency and refeeding syndrome: Similar findings but different pathogenesis.
- Authors: Maiorana A, Vergine G, Coletti V, Luciani M, Rizzo C, Emma F, Dionisi-Vici C
- Issue date: 2014 Jul-Aug
- Thiamine deficiency in critically ill patients with sepsis.
- Authors: Donnino MW, Carney E, Cocchi MN, Barbash I, Chase M, Joyce N, Chou PP, Ngo L
- Issue date: 2010 Dec
- Shoshin Beriberi in Critically-Ill patients: case series.
- Authors: Dabar G, Harmouche C, Habr B, Riachi M, Jaber B
- Issue date: 2015 May 17
- Thiamine content of F-75 therapeutic milk for complicated severe acute malnutrition: time for a change?
- Authors: Hiffler L, Adamolekun B, Fischer PR, Fattal-Vavleski A
- Issue date: 2017 Sep