Local Constraints to Access Appropriate Malaria Treatment in the Context of Parasite Resistance in Cambodia: a Qualitative Study
Peeters Grietens, K
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDespite emerging drug resistance in Cambodia, artemisinin-based combination therapy (ACT) is still the most efficacious therapy. ACT is available free of charge in the Cambodian public sector and at a subsidized rate in the private sector. However, un- and mistreated cases in combination with population movements may lead to the further spread of resistant parasites, stressing the importance of understanding how the perceived aetiology of malaria and associated health-seeking behaviour may delay access to appropriate treatment. A qualitative study explored these factors after an epidemiological survey confirmed parasite resistance in Preah Vihear province.
- "Souls of the ancestor that knock us out" and other tales. A qualitative study to identify demand-side factors influencing malaria case management in Cambodia.
- Authors: O'Connell KA, Samandari G, Phok S, Phou M, Dysoley L, Yeung S, Allen H, Littrell M
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 5
- Evidence of successful malaria case management policy implementation in Cambodia: results from national ACTwatch outlet surveys.
- Authors: ACTwatch Group., Novotny J, Singh A, Dysoley L, Sovannaroth S, Rekol H
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 8
- Case management of malaria fever in Cambodia: results from national anti-malarial outlet and household surveys.
- Authors: Littrell M, Gatakaa H, Phok S, Allen H, Yeung S, Chuor CM, Dysoley L, Socheat D, Spiers A, White C, Shewchuk T, Chavasse D, O'Connell KA
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 31
- Socially-marketed rapid diagnostic tests and ACT in the private sector: ten years of experience in Cambodia.
- Authors: Yeung S, Patouillard E, Allen H, Socheat D
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 18
- Injections, cocktails and diviners: therapeutic flexibility in the context of malaria elimination and drug resistance in Northeast Cambodia.
- Authors: Gryseels C, Uk S, Erhart A, Gerrets R, Sluydts V, Durnez L, Muela Ribera J, Hausmann Muela S, Menard D, Heng S, Sochantha T, D'Alessandro U, Coosemans M, Peeters Grietens K
- Issue date: 2013