AuthorsFortuin-de Smidt, M
de Waal, R
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThere are a limited number of paediatric antiretroviral drug options. Characterising the long term safety and durability of different antiretrovirals in children is important to optimise management of HIV infected children and to determine the estimated need for alternative drugs in paediatric regimens. We describe first-line antiretroviral therapy (ART) durability and reasons for discontinuations in children at two South African ART programmes, where lopinavir/ritonavir has been recommended for children <3 years old since 2004, and abacavir replaced stavudine as the preferred nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor in 2010.
PublisherPublic Library of Science
- Treatment outcomes among HIV-1 and HIV-2 infected children initiating antiretroviral therapy in a concentrated low prevalence setting in West Africa.
- Authors: Okomo U, Togun T, Oko F, Peterson K, Townend J, Peterson I, Jaye A
- Issue date: 2012 Jul 8
- Frequency of stavudine substitution due to toxicity in children receiving antiretroviral treatment in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Authors: Palmer M, Chersich M, Moultrie H, Kuhn L, Fairlie L, Meyers T
- Issue date: 2013 Mar 13
- A retrospective case-cohort study comparing treatment outcomes in abacavir versus stavudine containing first line antiretroviral treatment regimens in children <3yrs old, at a paediatric programme based in Soweto, South Africa.
- Authors: Cassim H, Otwombe K, Lazarus E, Liberty A, Gray GE, Greeff OBW, Violari A
- Issue date: 2017
- First-line antiretroviral therapy with efavirenz or lopinavir/ritonavir plus two nucleoside analogues: the SUSKA study, a non-randomized comparison from the VACH cohort.
- Authors: Domingo P, Suárez-Lozano I, Torres F, Teira R, Lopez-Aldeguer J, Vidal F, Muñoz A, Viciana P, Lozano F, Vergara A, Roca B, García Alcalde ML, Cosín J, Terrón A, Galindo MJ, Geijo P, Ribera E, Gonzalez J, Sanchez T, Lacalle JR, Garrido M
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- Efficacy and safety of abacavir-containing combination antiretroviral therapy as first-line treatment of HIV infected children and adolescents: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Authors: Adetokunboh OO, Schoonees A, Balogun TA, Wiysonge CS
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 26