Ebola Virus Disease: An Update On Current Prevention and Management Strategies
MetadataShow full item record
JournalJournal of Clinical Virology: The Official Publication of the Pan American Society for Clinical Virology
AbstractEbola virus disease (EVD) is characterised by systemic viral replication, immuno-suppression, abnormal inflammatory responses, large volume fluid and electrolyte losses, and high mortality in under-resourced settings. There are various therapeutic strategies targeting EVD including vaccines utilizing different antigen delivery methods, antibody-based therapies and antiviral drugs. These therapies remain experimental, but received attention following their use particularly in cases treated outside West Africa during the 2014-15 outbreak, in which 20 (80%) out of 25 patients survived. Emerging data from current trials look promising and are undergoing further study, however optimised supportive care remains the key to reducing mortality from EVD.
- Clinical Management of Ebola Virus Disease in the United States and Europe.
- Authors: Uyeki TM, Mehta AK, Davey RT Jr, Liddell AM, Wolf T, Vetter P, Schmiedel S, Grünewald T, Jacobs M, Arribas JR, Evans L, Hewlett AL, Brantsaeter AB, Ippolito G, Rapp C, Hoepelman AI, Gutman J, Working Group of the U.S.–European Clinical Network on Clinical Management of Ebola Virus Disease Patients in the U.S. and Europe.
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 18
- Ebola vaccine, therapeutics, and diagnostics.
- Authors: Furuyama W, Takada A
- Issue date: 2016
- Preparing for renal replacement therapy in patients with the Ebola virus disease.
- Authors: Faubel S, Franch H, Vijayan A, Barron MA, Heung M, Liu KD, Koyner JL, Conner MJ Jr
- Issue date: 2014
- Treatment of ebola virus disease.
- Authors: Kilgore PE, Grabenstein JD, Salim AM, Rybak M
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Ebola Virus Disease: Therapeutic and Potential Preventative Opportunities.
- Authors: Fisher R, Borio L
- Issue date: 2016 Jun