Improved Neonatal Mortality at a District Hospital in Aweil, South Sudan
MetadataShow full item record
JournalJournal of Tropical Pediatrics
AbstractNeonatal deaths comprise a growing proportion of global under-five mortality. However, data from the highest-burden areas is sparse. This descriptive retrospective study analyses the outcomes of all infants exiting the Médecins sans Frontières-managed neonatal unit in Aweil Hospital, rural South Sudan from 2011 to 2014. A total of 4268 patients were treated over 4 years, with annual admissions increasing from 687 to 1494. Overall mortality was 13.5% (n = 576), declining from 18.7% to 11.1% (p for trend <0.001). Newborns weighing <2500 g were at significantly increased mortality risk compared with babies ≥2500 g (odds ratio = 2.27, 95% confidence interval = 1.9-2.71, p < 0.001). Leading causes of death included sepsis (49.7%), tetanus (15.8%), respiratory distress (12.8%) and asphyxia (9.2%). Tetanus had the highest case fatality rate (49.7%), followed by perinatal asphyxia (26.5%), respiratory distress (20.4%) and neonatal sepsis (10.5%). Despite increasing admissions, overall mortality declined, indicating that survival of these especially vulnerable infants can be improved even in a basic-level district hospital programme.
PublisherOxford University Press
- An increase in the burden of neonatal admissions to a rural district hospital in Kenya over 19 years.
- Authors: Mwaniki MK, Gatakaa HW, Mturi FN, Chesaro CR, Chuma JM, Peshu NM, Mason L, Kager P, Marsh K, English M, Berkley JA, Newton CR
- Issue date: 2010 Oct 6
- Pattern of morbidity and mortality of newborns admitted into the sick and special care baby unit of Enugu State University Teaching Hospital, Enugu state.
- Authors: Ekwochi U, Ndu IK, Nwokoye IC, Ezenwosu OU, Amadi OF, Osuorah D
- Issue date: 2014 May-Jun
- Low-tech, high impact: care for premature neonates in a district hospital in Burundi. A way forward to decrease neonatal mortality.
- Authors: Ndelema B, Van den Bergh R, Manzi M, van den Boogaard W, Kosgei RJ, Zuniga I, Juvenal M, Reid A
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 16
- Trend and causes of neonatal mortality in a level III children's hospital in Shanghai: a 15-year retrospective study.
- Authors: Wang XL, Wang J, Yuan L, Shi WJ, Cao Y, Chen C
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- A study of 8 year neonatal deaths (1982-1989) of Toa Payoh Hospital.
- Authors: Ho NK
- Issue date: 1991 Apr