Visceral Leishmaniasis in Somalia: A Review of Epidemiology and Access to Care
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases
AbstractSomalia, ravaged by conflict since 1991, has areas endemic for visceral leishmaniasis (VL), a deadly parasitic disease affecting the rural poor, internally displaced, and pastoralists. Very little is known about VL burden in Somalia, where the protracted crisis hampers access to health care. We reviewed evidence about VL epidemiology in Somalia and appraised control options within the context of this fragile state's health system. VL has been reported in Somalia since 1934 and has persisted ever since in foci in the southern parts of the country. The only feasible VL control option is early diagnosis and treatment, currently mostly provided by nonstate actors. The availability of VL care in Somalia is limited and insufficient at best, both in coverage and quality. Precarious security remains a major obstacle to reach VL patients in the endemic areas, and the true VL burden and its impact remain unknown. Locally adjusted, innovative approaches in VL care provision should be explored, without undermining ongoing health system development in Somalia. Ensuring VL care is accessible is a moral imperative, and the limitations of the current VL diagnostic and treatment tools in Somalia and other endemic settings affected by conflict should be overcome.
PublisherPublic Library of Science
- Epidemiology and clinical features of patients with visceral leishmaniasis treated by an MSF clinic in Bakool region, Somalia, 2004-2006.
- Authors: Raguenaud ME, Jansson A, Vanlerberghe V, Deborggraeve S, Dujardin JC, Orfanos G, Reid T, Boelaert M
- Issue date: 2007 Oct 31
- A review of visceral leishmaniasis during the conflict in South Sudan and the consequences for East African countries.
- Authors: Al-Salem W, Herricks JR, Hotez PJ
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 22
- Emergence or re-emergence of visceral leishmaniasis in areas of Somalia, north-eastern Kenya, and south-eastern Ethiopia in 2000-01.
- Authors: Marlet MV, Sang DK, Ritmeijer K, Muga RO, Onsongo J, Davidson RN
- Issue date: 2003 Sep-Oct
- Barriers to access to visceral leishmaniasis diagnosis and care among seasonal mobile workers in Western Tigray, Northern Ethiopia: A qualitative study.
- Authors: Coulborn RM, Gebrehiwot TG, Schneider M, Gerstl S, Adera C, Herrero M, Porten K, den Boer M, Ritmeijer K, Alvar J, Hassen A, Mulugeta A
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- Control of visceral leishmaniasis in Somalia: achievements in a challenging scenario, 2013–2015.
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 22