Altered Virome and Bacterial Microbiome in Human Immunodeficiency Virus-Associated Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
MetadataShow full item record
JournalCell Host & Microbe
AbstractHuman immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection is associated with increased intestinal translocation of microbial products and enteropathy as well as alterations in gut bacterial communities. However, whether the enteric virome contributes to this infection and resulting immunodeficiency remains unknown. We characterized the enteric virome and bacterial microbiome in a cohort of Ugandan patients, including HIV-uninfected or HIV-infected subjects and those either treated with anti-retroviral therapy (ART) or untreated. Low peripheral CD4 T cell counts were associated with an expansion of enteric adenovirus sequences and this increase was independent of ART treatment. Additionally, the enteric bacterial microbiome of patients with lower CD4 T counts exhibited reduced phylogenetic diversity and richness with specific bacteria showing differential abundance, including increases in Enterobacteriaceae, which have been associated with inflammation. Thus, immunodeficiency in progressive HIV infection is associated with alterations in the enteric virome and bacterial microbiome, which may contribute to AIDS-associated enteropathy and disease progression.
- SIV Infection-Mediated Changes in Gastrointestinal Bacterial Microbiome and Virome Are Associated with Immunodeficiency and Prevented by Vaccination.
- Authors: Handley SA, Desai C, Zhao G, Droit L, Monaco CL, Schroeder AC, Nkolola JP, Norman ME, Miller AD, Wang D, Barouch DH, Virgin HW
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 9
- Destabilization of the gut microbiome marks the end-stage of simian immunodeficiency virus infection in wild chimpanzees.
- Authors: Barbian HJ, Li Y, Ramirez M, Klase Z, Lipende I, Mjungu D, Moeller AH, Wilson ML, Pusey AE, Lonsdorf EV, Bushman FD, Hahn BH
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Effect of probiotic bacteria on microbial host defense, growth, and immune function in human immunodeficiency virus type-1 infection.
- Authors: Cunningham-Rundles S, Ahrné S, Johann-Liang R, Abuav R, Dunn-Navarra AM, Grassey C, Bengmark S, Cervia JS
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Lung microbiome in human immunodeficiency virus infection.
- Authors: Twigg HL 3rd, Weinstock GM, Knox KS
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Assessment of the gorilla gut virome in association with natural simian immunodeficiency virus infection.
- Authors: D'arc M, Furtado C, Siqueira JD, Seuánez HN, Ayouba A, Peeters M, Soares MA
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 5