Overcoming Challenges in the Diagnosis, Prevention, and Treatment of Pediatric Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDrug-resistant tuberculosis (DR-TB) is a growing global health threat and children are especially vulnerable to becoming infected and sick with DR-TB. There is a growing body of evidence on the optimal diagnosis, treatment and prevention of DR-TB in this vulnerable population. Areas covered: A comprehensive review of the literature on DR-TB in children was done using PubMed and Ovid databases up to 31 December 2016. Topic areas covered included diagnosis of DR-TB, treatment of DR-TB - including novel medications and regimens, prevention of DR-TB, community-based care, and stigma/discrimination. After presenting a case that highlights some of these challenges in each of these areas, for which we will propose mechanisms for overcoming them. Expert commentary: Overcoming the challenges facing children with DR-TB, requires a paradigm shift at multiple levels. The 'trickle down' approach to pediatric DR-TB has been woefully inadequate and it is essential that pediatric DR-TB - preventing it, diagnosing it, and treating it - be made a priority.
- Clinical management of adults and children with multidrug-resistant and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis.
- Authors: Dheda K, Chang KC, Guglielmetti L, Furin J, Schaaf HS, Chesov D, Esmail A, Lange C
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Linezolid-containing regimens for the treatment of drug-resistant tuberculosis in South African children.
- Authors: Rose PC, Hallbauer UM, Seddon JA, Hesseling AC, Schaaf HS
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Novel diagnostics and therapeutics for drug-resistant tuberculosis.
- Authors: Toosky M, Javid B
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Drug-resistant tuberculosis: pediatric guidelines.
- Authors: Al-Dabbagh M, Lapphra K, McGloin R, Inrig K, Schaaf HS, Marais BJ, Sauve L, Kitai I, Kollmann TR
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Challenges of using new and repurposed drugs for the treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in children.
- Authors: Schaaf HS, Garcia-Prats AJ, McKenna L, Seddon JA
- Issue date: 2018 Mar