The Last and First Frontier--Emerging Challenges for HIV Treatment and Prevention in the First week of Life With Emphasis on Premature and Low Birth Weight Infants
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThere is new emphasis on identifying and treating HIV in the first days of life and also an appreciation that low birth weight (LBW) and preterm delivery (PTD) frequently accompany HIV-related pregnancy. Even in the absence of HIV, PTD and LBW contribute substantially to neonatal and infant mortality. HIV-exposed and -infected infants with these characteristics have received little attention thus far. As HIV programs expand to meet the 90-90-90 target for ending the HIV pandemic, attention should focus on newborn infants, including those delivered preterm or of LBW.
PublisherInternational AIDS Society
- Antiretrovirals for reducing the risk of mother-to-child transmission of HIV infection.
- Authors: Siegfried N, van der Merwe L, Brocklehurst P, Sint TT
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 6
- Neonatal and Infant Mortality Risk Associated with Preterm and Small for Gestational Age Births in Tanzania: Individual Level Pooled Analysis Using the Intergrowth Standard.
- Authors: Sania A, Smith ER, Manji K, Duggan C, Masanja H, Kisenge R, Msamanga G, Urassa W, Fawzi W
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Benefits and Risks of Antiretroviral Therapy for Perinatal HIV Prevention.
- Authors: Fowler MG, Qin M, Fiscus SA, Currier JS, Flynn PM, Chipato T, McIntyre J, Gnanashanmugam D, Siberry GK, Coletti AS, Taha TE, Klingman KL, Martinson FE, Owor M, Violari A, Moodley D, Theron GB, Bhosale R, Bobat R, Chi BH, Strehlau R, Mlay P, Loftis AJ, Browning R, Fenton T, Purdue L, Basar M, Shapiro DE, Mofenson LM, IMPAACT 1077BF/1077FF PROMISE Study Team.
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 3
- Triple antiretroviral compared with zidovudine and single-dose nevirapine prophylaxis during pregnancy and breastfeeding for prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV-1 (Kesho Bora study): a randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Kesho Bora Study Group., de Vincenzi I
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Breastfeeding plus infant zidovudine prophylaxis for 6 months vs formula feeding plus infant zidovudine for 1 month to reduce mother-to-child HIV transmission in Botswana: a randomized trial: the Mashi Study.
- Authors: Thior I, Lockman S, Smeaton LM, Shapiro RL, Wester C, Heymann SJ, Gilbert PB, Stevens L, Peter T, Kim S, van Widenfelt E, Moffat C, Ndase P, Arimi P, Kebaabetswe P, Mazonde P, Makhema J, McIntosh K, Novitsky V, Lee TH, Marlink R, Lagakos S, Essex M, Mashi Study Team.
- Issue date: 2006 Aug 16