HIV Testing and Retention in Care of Infants Born to HIV- Infected Women Enrolled in 'Option B+', Thyolo, Malawi
AuthorsMartínez Pérez, G
Harries, A D
Van den Bergh, R
Triviño Durán, L
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPublic Health Action
AbstractPrevention of mother-to-child transmission 'Option B+' originated in Malawi in 2011 to prevent new infections in infants exposed to the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). We assessed 12-month programme retention and HIV testing uptake among infants born to HIV-infected mothers from September 2011 to June 2012 in Thyolo District Hospital. Of 513 infants, 368 (71.7%) remained in care at 12 months. Altogether, 412 (80.3%) underwent HIV DNA polymerase chain reaction testing, with 267 (52.0%) tested at 6-12 weeks, and 255 (49.7%) underwent rapid HIV testing, with 144 (28.1%) tested at 12 months. Eighty-eight (17.2%) infants had both tests as scheduled. Measures are needed to improve adherence to national testing protocols.
- HIV transmission and retention in care among HIV-exposed children enrolled in Malawi's prevention of mother-to-child transmission programme.
- Authors: Haas AD, van Oosterhout JJ, Tenthani L, Jahn A, Zwahlen M, Msukwa MT, Davies MA, Tal K, Phiri N, Spoerri A, Chimbwandira F, Egger M, Keiser O
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 4
- Impact of an innovative approach to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV--Malawi, July 2011-September 2012.
- Authors: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Issue date: 2013 Mar 1
- Improved identification and enrolment into care of HIV-exposed and -infected infants and children following a community health worker intervention in Lilongwe, Malawi.
- Authors: Ahmed S, Kim MH, Dave AC, Sabelli R, Kanjelo K, Preidis GA, Giordano TP, Chiao E, Hosseinipour M, Kazembe PN, Chimbwandira F, Abrams EJ
- Issue date: 2015
- High acceptability of voluntary counselling and HIV-testing but unacceptable loss to follow up in a prevention of mother-to-child HIV transmission programme in rural Malawi: scaling-up requires a different way of acting.
- Authors: Manzi M, Zachariah R, Teck R, Buhendwa L, Kazima J, Bakali E, Firmenich P, Humblet P
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Fifteen years of HIV and syphilis outcomes among a prevention of mother-to-child transmission program in Haiti: from monotherapy to Option B.
- Authors: Deschamps MM, Jannat-Khah D, Rouzier V, Bonhomme J, Pierrot J, Lee MH, Abrams E, Pape J, McNairy ML
- Issue date: 2018 Jul