Mutational Correlates of Virological Failure in Individuals Receiving a WHO-Recommended Tenofovir-Containing First-Line Regimen: An International Collaboration
Van Zyl, GU
de Oliveira, T
D'amour Ndahimana, J
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF) genotypic resistance defined by K65R/N and/or K70E/Q/G occurs in 20% to 60% of individuals with virological failure (VF) on a WHO-recommended TDF-containing first-line regimen. However, the full spectrum of reverse transcriptase (RT) mutations selected in individuals with VF on such a regimen is not known. To identify TDF regimen-associated mutations (TRAMs), we compared the proportion of each RT mutation in 2873 individuals with VF on a WHO-recommended first-line TDF-containing regimen to its proportion in a cohort of 50,803 antiretroviral-naïve individuals. To identify TRAMs specifically associated with TDF-selection pressure, we compared the proportion of each TRAM to its proportion in a cohort of 5805 individuals with VF on a first-line thymidine analog-containing regimen. We identified 83 TRAMs including 33 NRTI-associated, 40 NNRTI-associated, and 10 uncommon mutations of uncertain provenance. Of the 33 NRTI-associated TRAMs, 12 - A62V, K65R/N, S68G/N/D, K70E/Q/T, L74I, V75L, and Y115F - were more common among individuals receiving a first-line TDF-containing compared to a first-line thymidine analog-containing regimen. These 12 TDF-selected TRAMs will be important for monitoring TDF-associated transmitted drug-resistance and for determining the extent of reduced TDF susceptibility in individuals with VF on a TDF-containing regimen.
- Trends in Genotypic HIV-1 Antiretroviral Resistance between 2006 and 2012 in South African Patients Receiving First- and Second-Line Antiretroviral Treatment Regimens.
- Authors: Van Zyl GU, Liu TF, Claassen M, Engelbrecht S, de Oliveira T, Preiser W, Wood NT, Travers S, Shafer RW
- Issue date: 2013
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus-1 Viral Load Is Elevated in Individuals With Reverse-Transcriptase Mutation M184V/I During Virological Failure of First-Line Antiretroviral Therapy and Is Associated With Compensatory Mutation L74I.
- Authors: Gregson J, Rhee SY, Datir R, Pillay D, Perno CF, Derache A, Shafer RS, Gupta RK
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 1
- Genotypic HIV-1 Drug Resistance Among Patients Failing Tenofovir-Based First-Line HAART in South India.
- Authors: Dinesha TR, Gomathi S, Boobalan J, Sivamalar S, Solomon SS, Pradeep A, Poongulali S, Solomon S, Balakrishnan P, Saravanan S
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Resistance to tenofovir-based regimens during treatment failure of subtype C HIV-1 in South Africa.
- Authors: Hoffmann CJ, Ledwaba J, Li JF, Johnston V, Hunt G, Fielding KL, Chaisson RE, Churchyard GJ, Grant AD, Johnson JA, Charalambous S, Morris L
- Issue date: 2013
- Global epidemiology of drug resistance after failure of WHO recommended first-line regimens for adult HIV-1 infection: a multicentre retrospective cohort study.
- Authors: TenoRes Study Group.
- Issue date: 2016 May