Towards More Accurate HIV Testing in Sub-Saharan Africa: a Multi-Site Evaluation of HIV RDTs and Risk Factors For False Positives
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAlthough individual HIV rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs) show good performance in evaluations conducted by WHO, reports from several African countries highlight potentially significant performance issues. Despite widespread use of RDTs for HIV diagnosis in resource-constrained settings, there has been no systematic, head-to-head evaluation of their accuracy with specimens from diverse settings across sub-Saharan Africa. We conducted a standardized, centralized evaluation of eight HIV RDTs and two simple confirmatory assays at a WHO collaborating centre for evaluation of HIV diagnostics using specimens from six sites in five sub-Saharan African countries.
PublisherInternational AIDS Society
- HIV misdiagnosis in sub-Saharan Africa: performance of diagnostic algorithms at six testing sites.
- Authors: Kosack CS, Shanks L, Beelaert G, Benson T, Savane A, Ng'ang'a A, Andre B, Zahinda JB, Fransen K, Page AL
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 3
- Evaluation of HIV testing algorithms in Ethiopia: the role of the tie-breaker algorithm and weakly reacting test lines in contributing to a high rate of false positive HIV diagnoses.
- Authors: Shanks L, Siddiqui MR, Kliescikova J, Pearce N, Ariti C, Muluneh L, Pirou E, Ritmeijer K, Masiga J, Abebe A
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 3
- Designing HIV Testing Algorithms Based on 2015 WHO Guidelines Using Data from Six Sites in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Authors: Kosack CS, Shanks L, Beelaert G, Benson T, Savane A, Ng'ang'a A, Bita A, Zahinda JBN, Fransen K, Page AL
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- Misdiagnosis of HIV infection during a South African community-based survey: implications for rapid HIV testing.
- Authors: Kufa T, Kharsany AB, Cawood C, Khanyile D, Lewis L, Grobler A, Chipeta Z, Bere A, Glenshaw M, Puren A
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 29
- Rapid diagnostic tests for typhoid and paratyphoid (enteric) fever.
- Authors: Wijedoru L, Mallett S, Parry CM
- Issue date: 2017 May 26