Evaluating Process and Clinical Outcomes of a Primary Care Mental Health Integration Project in Rural Rwanda: a Prospective Mixed-Methods Protocol
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntegrating mental healthcare into primary care can reduce the global burden of mental disorders. Yet data on the effective implementation of real-world task-shared mental health programmes are limited. In 2012, the Rwandan Ministry of Health and the international healthcare organisation Partners in Health collaboratively adapted the Mentoring and Enhanced Supervision at Health Centers (MESH) programme, a successful programme of supported supervision based on task-sharing for HIV/AIDS care, to include care of neuropsychiatric disorders within primary care settings (MESH Mental Health). We propose 1 of the first studies in a rural low-income country to assess the implementation and clinical outcomes of a programme integrating neuropsychiatric care into a public primary care system.
PublisherBMJ Publishing Group Limited 2013
- Process evaluation of a National Primary Eye Care Programme in Rwanda.
- Authors: Yip JLY, Bright T, Ford S, Mathenge W, Faal H, Rwanda Primary Eye Care Process evaluation group.
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 7
- Mentoring and quality improvement strengthen integrated management of childhood illness implementation in rural Rwanda.
- Authors: Magge H, Anatole M, Cyamatare FR, Mezzacappa C, Nkikabahizi F, Niyonzima S, Drobac PC, Ngabo F, Hirschhorn LR
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Mental health in primary care: Integration through in-service training in a South African rural clinic.
- Authors: Maconick L, Jenkins LS, Fisher H, Petrie A, Boon L, Reuter H
- Issue date: 2018 May 24
- Integrated collaborative care teams to enhance service delivery to youth with mental health and substance use challenges: protocol for a pragmatic randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Henderson JL, Cheung A, Cleverley K, Chaim G, Moretti ME, de Oliveira C, Hawke LD, Willan AR, O'Brien D, Heffernan O, Herzog T, Courey L, McDonald H, Grant E, Szatmari P
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 6
- Acceptability and feasibility of using non-specialist health workers to deliver mental health care: stakeholder perceptions from the PRIME district sites in Ethiopia, India, Nepal, South Africa, and Uganda.
- Authors: Mendenhall E, De Silva MJ, Hanlon C, Petersen I, Shidhaye R, Jordans M, Luitel N, Ssebunnya J, Fekadu A, Patel V, Tomlinson M, Lund C
- Issue date: 2014 Oct