Mycobacterium Tuberculosis Lineage 4 Comprises Globally Distributed and Geographically Restricted Sublineages
de Jong, Bouke C
Penlap Beng, VN
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGeneralist and specialist species differ in the breadth of their ecological niches. Little is known about the niche width of obligate human pathogens. Here we analyzed a global collection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis lineage 4 clinical isolates, the most geographically widespread cause of human tuberculosis. We show that lineage 4 comprises globally distributed and geographically restricted sublineages, suggesting a distinction between generalists and specialists. Population genomic analyses showed that, whereas the majority of human T cell epitopes were conserved in all sublineages, the proportion of variable epitopes was higher in generalists. Our data further support a European origin for the most common generalist sublineage. Hence, the global success of lineage 4 reflects distinct strategies adopted by different sublineages and the influence of human migration.
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- Turkish and Japanese Mycobacterium tuberculosis sublineages share a remote common ancestor.
- Authors: Refrégier G, Abadia E, Matsumoto T, Ano H, Takashima T, Tsuyuguchi I, Aktas E, Cömert F, Gomgnimbou MK, Panaiotov S, Phelan J, Coll F, McNerney R, Pain A, Clark TG, Sola C
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- Latin-American-Mediterranean lineage of Mycobacterium tuberculosis: Human traces across pathogen's phylogeography.
- Authors: Mokrousov I, Vyazovaya A, Iwamoto T, Skiba Y, Pole I, Zhdanova S, Arikawa K, Sinkov V, Umpeleva T, Valcheva V, Alvarez Figueroa M, Ranka R, Jansone I, Ogarkov O, Zhuravlev V, Narvskaya O
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Differences among sublineages of the East-Asian lineage of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in genotypic clustering.
- Authors: Kato-Maeda M, Kim EY, Flores L, Jarlsberg LG, Osmond D, Hopewell PC
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Sublineages of lineage 4 (Euro-American) Mycobacterium tuberculosis differ in genotypic clustering.
- Authors: Anderson J, Jarlsberg LG, Grindsdale J, Osmond D, Kawamura M, Hopewell PC, Kato-Maeda M
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- There is no correlation between sublineages and drug resistance of Mycobacterium tuberculosis Beijing/W lineage clinical isolates in Xinjiang, China.
- Authors: Yuan L, Huang Y, Mi LG, Li YX, Liu PZ, Zhang J, Liang HY, Li F, Li H, Zhang SQ, Li WJ
- Issue date: 2015 Jan