Peripheral Neuropathy in a Diabetic Child Treated with Linezolid for Multidrug-Resistant Tuberculosis: A Case Report and Review of the Literature
MetadataShow full item record
JournalBMC Infectious Diseases
AbstractExtensively drug-resistant (XDR) tuberculosis (TB) and multidrug resistant (MDR)-TB with additional resistance to injectable agents or fluoroquinolones are challenging to treat due to lack of available, effective drugs. Linezolid is one of the few drugs that has shown promise in treating these conditions. Long-term linezolid use is associated with toxicities such as peripheral and optic neuropathies. Diabetes mellitus (DM), especially when uncontrolled, can also result in peripheral neuropathy. The global burden of DM is increasing, and DM has been associated with a three-fold increased risk of developing TB disease. TB and DM can be a challenging combination to treat. DM can inhibit the host immune response to tuberculosis infection; and TB and some anti-TB drugs can worsen glycaemic control. A child experiencing neuropathy that is a possible complication of both DM and linezolid used to treat TB has not been reported previously. We report peripheral neuropathy in a 15-year-old boy with type 1 DM, diagnosed with MDR-TB and additional resistance to injectable TB medications.
- Is Severe and Long-lasting Linezolid-induced Optic Neuropathy Reversible?
- Authors: Lee S, Kang BH, Ryu WY, Um SJ, Roh MS, Son C
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 15
- Linezolid-Associated Optic Neuropathy in Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis Patients in Mumbai, India.
- Authors: Mehta S, Das M, Laxmeshwar C, Jonckheere S, Thi SS, Isaakidis P
- Issue date: 2016
- Linezolid-containing regimens for the treatment of drug-resistant tuberculosis in South African children.
- Authors: Rose PC, Hallbauer UM, Seddon JA, Hesseling AC, Schaaf HS
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Daily 300 mg dose of linezolid for the treatment of intractable multidrug-resistant and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis.
- Authors: Koh WJ, Kwon OJ, Gwak H, Chung JW, Cho SN, Kim WS, Shim TS
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Efficacy and safety of linezolid in multidrug resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB)--a report of ten cases.
- Authors: von der Lippe B, Sandven P, Brubakk O
- Issue date: 2006 Feb