Neighborhood-Targeted and Case-Triggered Use of a Single Dose of Oral Cholera Vaccine in an Urban Setting: Feasibility and Vaccine Coverage
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases
AbstractIn June 2015, a cholera outbreak was declared in Juba, South Sudan. In addition to standard outbreak control measures, oral cholera vaccine (OCV) was proposed. As sufficient doses to cover the at-risk population were unavailable, a campaign using half the standard dosing regimen (one-dose) targeted high-risk neighborhoods and groups including neighbors of suspected cases. Here we report the operational details of this first public health use of a single-dose regimen of OCV and illustrate the feasibility of conducting highly targeted vaccination campaigns in an urban area.
PublisherPublic Library of Science
- First outbreak response using an oral cholera vaccine in Africa: vaccine coverage, acceptability and surveillance of adverse events, Guinea, 2012.
- Authors: Luquero FJ, Grout L, Ciglenecki I, Sakoba K, Traore B, Heile M, Dialo AA, Itama C, Serafini M, Legros D, Grais RF
- Issue date: 2013
- Oral cholera vaccine coverage during a preventive door-to-door mass vaccination campaign in Nampula, Mozambique.
- Authors: Semá Baltazar C, Rafael F, Langa JPM, Chicumbe S, Cavailler P, Gessner BD, Pezzoli L, Barata A, Zaina D, Inguane DL, Mengel MA, Munier A
- Issue date: 2018
- Delayed second dose of oral cholera vaccine administered before high-risk period for cholera transmission: Cholera control strategy in Lusaka, 2016.
- Authors: Ferreras E, Matapo B, Chizema-Kawesha E, Chewe O, Mzyece H, Blake A, Moonde L, Zulu G, Poncin M, Sinyange N, Kasese-Chanda N, Phiri C, Malama K, Mukonka V, Cohuet S, Uzzeni F, Ciglenecki I, Danovaro-Holliday MC, Luquero FJ, Pezzoli L
- Issue date: 2019
- Feasibility and acceptability of oral cholera vaccine mass vaccination campaign in response to an outbreak and floods in Malawi.
- Authors: Msyamboza KP, M'bang'ombe M, Hausi H, Chijuwa A, Nkukumila V, Kubwalo HW, Desai S, Pezzoli L, Legros D
- Issue date: 2016
- Highly targeted cholera vaccination campaigns in urban setting are feasible: The experience in Kalemie, Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Authors: Massing LA, Aboubakar S, Blake A, Page AL, Cohuet S, Ngandwe A, Mukomena Sompwe E, Ramazani R, Allheimen M, Levaillant P, Lechevalier P, Kashimi M, de la Motte A, Calmejane A, Bouhenia M, Dabire E, Bompangue D, Kebela B, Porten K, Luquero F
- Issue date: 2018 May