Ciprofloxacin for Contacts of Cases of Meningococcal Meningitis as an Epidemic Response: Study Protocol for a Cluster-Randomized Trial
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEpidemics of meningococcal meningitis are common in the "African meningitis belt." Current response strategies include reactive vaccination campaigns, which are often organized too late to have maximal impact. A novel strain of Neisseria meningitidis serogroup C has been circulating in recent years, and vaccine supplies are limited. An evaluation of chemoprophylaxis with single-dose ciprofloxacin for household contacts of meningitis cases has therefore been recommended.
- Single-dose oral ciprofloxacin prophylaxis as a response to a meningococcal meningitis epidemic in the African meningitis belt: A 3-arm, open-label, cluster-randomized trial.
- Authors: Coldiron ME, Assao B, Page AL, Hitchings MDT, Alcoba G, Ciglenecki I, Langendorf C, Mambula C, Adehossi E, Sidikou F, Tassiou EI, De Lastours V, Grais RF
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Analysis of a meningococcal meningitis outbreak in Niger - potential effectiveness of reactive prophylaxis.
- Authors: Hitchings MDT, Coldiron ME, Grais RF, Lipsitch M
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Spatiotemporal Analysis of Serogroup C Meningococcal Meningitis Spread in Niger and Nigeria and Implications for Epidemic Response.
- Authors: Cooper LV, Ronveaux O, Fernandez K, Lingani C, Goumbi K, Ihekweazu C, Preziosi MP, Durupt A, Trotter CL
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 31
- Emergence of epidemic Neisseria meningitidis serogroup C in Niger, 2015: an analysis of national surveillance data.
- Authors: Sidikou F, Zaneidou M, Alkassoum I, Schwartz S, Issaka B, Obama R, Lingani C, Tate A, Ake F, Sakande S, Ousmane S, Zanguina J, Seidou I, Nzeyimana I, Mounkoro D, Abodji O, Wang X, Taha MK, Moulia-Pelat JP, Pana A, Kadade G, Ronveaux O, Novak R, Oukem-Boyer OOM, Meyer S, MenAfriNet consortium.
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- [An epidemic of meningococcal meningitis in the region of Savanes in Togo in 1997: research and control strategies].
- Authors: Aplogan A, Batchassi E, Yakoua Y, Croisier A, Aleki A, Schlumberger M, Molina S, Sidatt M, Kaninda AV
- Issue date: 1997 Nov-Dec