Deep Sequencing of RNA from Blood and Oral Swab Samples Reveals the Presence of Nucleic Acid from a Number of Pathogens in Patients with Acute Ebola Virus Disease and Is Consistent with Bacterial Translocation across the Gut
Di Caro, A
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this study, samples from the 2013-2016 West African Ebola virus outbreak from patients in Guinea with Ebola virus disease (EVD) were analyzed to discover and classify what other pathogens were present. Throat swabs were taken from deceased EVD patients, and peripheral blood samples were analyzed that had been taken from patients when they presented at the treatment center with acute illness. High-throughput RNA sequencing (RNA-seq) and bioinformatics were used to identify the potential microorganisms. This approach confirmed Ebola virus (EBOV) in all samples from patients diagnosed as acute positive for the virus by quantitative reverse transcription-PCR in deployed field laboratories. Nucleic acid mapping to Plasmodium was also used on the patient samples, confirming results obtained with an antigen-based rapid diagnostic test (RDT) conducted in the field laboratories. The data suggested that a high Plasmodium load, as determined by sequence read depth, was associated with mortality and influenced the host response, whereas a lower parasite load did not appear to affect outcome. The identifications of selected bacteria from throat swabs via RNA-seq were confirmed by culture. The data indicated that the potential pathogens identified in the blood samples were associated with translocation from the gut, suggesting the presence of bacteremia, which transcriptome data suggested may induce or aggravate the acute-phase response observed during EVD. Transcripts mapping to different viruses were also identified, including those indicative of lytic infections. The development of high-resolution analysis of samples from patients with EVD will help inform care pathways and the most appropriate general antimicrobial therapy to be used in a resource-poor setting. IMPORTANCE Our results highlight the identification of an array of pathogens in the blood of patients with Ebola virus disease (EVD). This has not been done before, and the data have important implications for the treatment of patients with EVD, particularly considering antibiotic stewardship. We show that EVD patients who were also infected with Plasmodium, particularly at higher loads, had more adverse outcomes than patients with lower levels of Plasmodium. However, the presence of Plasmodium did not influence the innate immune response, and it is likely that the presence of EBOV dominated this response. Several viruses other than EBOV were identified, and bacteria associated with sepsis were also identified. These findings were indicative of bacterial translocation across the gut during the acute phase of EVD.
PublisherAmerican Society for Microbiology
- Experimental Treatment with Favipiravir for Ebola Virus Disease (the JIKI Trial): A Historically Controlled, Single-Arm Proof-of-Concept Trial in Guinea.
- Authors: Sissoko D, Laouenan C, Folkesson E, M'Lebing AB, Beavogui AH, Baize S, Camara AM, Maes P, Shepherd S, Danel C, Carazo S, Conde MN, Gala JL, Colin G, Savini H, Bore JA, Le Marcis F, Koundouno FR, Petitjean F, Lamah MC, Diederich S, Tounkara A, Poelart G, Berbain E, Dindart JM, Duraffour S, Lefevre A, Leno T, Peyrouset O, Irenge L, Bangoura N, Palich R, Hinzmann J, Kraus A, Barry TS, Berette S, Bongono A, Camara MS, Chanfreau Munoz V, Doumbouya L, Souley Harouna, Kighoma PM, Koundouno FR, Réné Lolamou, Loua CM, Massala V, Moumouni K, Provost C, Samake N, Sekou C, Soumah A, Arnould I, Komano MS, Gustin L, Berutto C, Camara D, Camara FS, Colpaert J, Delamou L, Jansson L, Kourouma E, Loua M, Malme K, Manfrin E, Maomou A, Milinouno A, Ombelet S, Sidiboun AY, Verreckt I, Yombouno P, Bocquin A, Carbonnelle C, Carmoi T, Frange P, Mely S, Nguyen VK, Pannetier D, Taburet AM, Treluyer JM, Kolie J, Moh R, Gonzalez MC, Kuisma E, Liedigk B, Ngabo D, Rudolf M, Thom R, Kerber R, Gabriel M, Di Caro A, Wölfel R, Badir J, Bentahir M, Deccache Y, Dumont C, Durant JF, El Bakkouri K, Gasasira Uwamahoro M, Smits B, Toufik N, Van Cauwenberghe S, Ezzedine K, D'Ortenzio E, Pizarro L, Etienne A, Guedj J, Fizet A, Barte de Sainte Fare E, Murgue B, Tran-Minh T, Rapp C, Piguet P, Poncin M, Draguez B, Allaford Duverger T, Barbe S, Baret G, Defourny I, Carroll M, Raoul H, Augier A, Eholie SP, Yazdanpanah Y, Levy-Marchal C, Antierrens A, Van Herp M, Günther S, de Lamballerie X, Keïta S, Mentre F, Anglaret X, Malvy D, JIKI Study Group.
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Analysis of Diagnostic Findings From the European Mobile Laboratory in Guéckédou, Guinea, March 2014 Through March 2015.
- Authors: Kerber R, Krumkamp R, Diallo B, Jaeger A, Rudolf M, Lanini S, Bore JA, Koundouno FR, Becker-Ziaja B, Fleischmann E, Stoecker K, Meschi S, Mély S, Newman EN, Carletti F, Portmann J, Korva M, Wolff S, Molkenthin P, Kis Z, Kelterbaum A, Bocquin A, Strecker T, Fizet A, Castilletti C, Schudt G, Ottowell L, Kurth A, Atkinson B, Badusche M, Cannas A, Pallasch E, Bosworth A, Yue C, Pályi B, Ellerbrok H, Kohl C, Oestereich L, Logue CH, Lüdtke A, Richter M, Ngabo D, Borremans B, Becker D, Gryseels S, Abdellati S, Vermoesen T, Kuisma E, Kraus A, Liedigk B, Maes P, Thom R, Duraffour S, Diederich S, Hinzmann J, Afrough B, Repits J, Mertens M, Vitoriano I, Bah A, Sachse A, Boettcher JP, Wurr S, Bockholt S, Nitsche A, Županc TA, Strasser M, Ippolito G, Becker S, Raoul H, Carroll MW, De Clerck H, Van Herp M, Sprecher A, Koivogui L, Magassouba N, Keïta S, Drury P, Gurry C, Formenty P, May J, Gabriel M, Wölfel R, Günther S, Di Caro A
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 15
- Clinical, virological, and biological parameters associated with outcomes of Ebola virus infection in Macenta, Guinea.
- Authors: Vernet MA, Reynard S, Fizet A, Schaeffer J, Pannetier D, Guedj J, Rives M, Georges N, Garcia-Bonnet N, Sylla AI, Grovogui P, Kerherve JY, Savio C, Savio-Coste S, de Séverac ML, Zloczewski P, Linares S, Harouna S, Abdoul BM, Petitjean F, Samake N, Shepherd S, Kinda M, Koundouno FR, Joxe L, Mateo M, Lecine P, Page A, Tchamdja TM, Schoenhals M, Barbe S, Simon B, Tran-Minh T, Longuet C, L'Hériteau F, Baize S
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 23
- Performance of the GeneXpert Ebola Assay for Diagnosis of Ebola Virus Disease in Sierra Leone: A Field Evaluation Study.
- Authors: Semper AE, Broadhurst MJ, Richards J, Foster GM, Simpson AJ, Logue CH, Kelly JD, Miller A, Brooks TJ, Murray M, Pollock NR
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Clinical presentations and outcomes of patients with Ebola virus disease in Freetown, Sierra Leone.
- Authors: Ji YJ, Duan XZ, Gao XD, Li L, Li C, Ji D, Li WG, Wang LF, Meng YH, Yang X, Ling BF, Song XA, Gu ML, Jiang T, Koroma SM, Bangalie J, Duan HJ
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 3