Using Mobile Phones to Ensure that Referred Tuberculosis Patients Reach Their Treatment Facilities: A Call that Makes a Difference
van Griensven, J
MetadataShow full item record
JournalBMC Health Services Research
AbstractOver the last decade, the availability and use of mobile phones have grown exponentially globally and in Cambodia. In the Sihanouk Hospital Centre of Hope(SHCH) in Cambodia about half of all tuberculosis patients referred out to peripheral health facilities for TB treatment initiation or continuation were lost to contact after referral ranging from 19 to 69% between 2008 and 2013. To address this, we implemented a mobile phone-based patient tracking intervention. Here, we report the number and proportion of referred TB patients who could be contacted through a mobile phone and retained in care after the introduction of mobile phone tracking.
- Community-based active tuberculosis case finding in poor urban settlements of Phnom Penh, Cambodia: a feasible and effective strategy.
- Authors: Lorent N, Choun K, Thai S, Kim T, Huy S, Pe R, van Griensven J, Buyze J, Colebunders R, Rigouts L, Lynen L
- Issue date: 2014
- Characteristics and treatment outcomes of tuberculosis patients who "transfer-in" to health facilities in Harare City, Zimbabwe: a descriptive cross-sectional study.
- Authors: Takarinda KC, Harries AD, Mutasa-Apollo T, Sandy C, Mugurungi O
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 15
- Mobile phone interventions for tuberculosis should ensure access to mobile phones to enhance equity - a prospective, observational cohort study in Peruvian shantytowns.
- Authors: Saunders MJ, Wingfield T, Tovar MA, Herlihy N, Rocha C, Zevallos K, Montoya R, Ramos E, Datta S, Evans CA
- Issue date: 2018 Aug
- Using mHealth for HIV/TB Treatment Support in Lesotho: Enhancing Patient-Provider Communication in the START Study.
- Authors: Hirsch-Moverman Y, Daftary A, Yuengling KA, Saito S, Ntoane M, Frederix K, Maama LB, Howard AA
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 1
- Do patients with tuberculosis referred from a tertiary care referral centre reach their peripheral health institution?
- Authors: Khandekar J, Acharya AS, R TH, Sharma A
- Issue date: 2013 Nov-Dec