Deuterium Dilution Technique for Body Composition Assessment: Resolving Methodological Issues in Children with Moderate Acute Malnutrition
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractChildhood malnutrition is highly prevalent and associated with high mortality risk. In observational and interventional studies among malnourished children, body composition is increasingly recognised as a key outcome. The deuterium dilution technique has generated high-quality data on body composition in studies of infants and young children in several settings, but its feasibility and accuracy in children suffering from moderate acute malnutrition requires further study. Prior to a large nutritional intervention trial among children with moderate acute malnutrition, we conducted pilot work to develop and adapt the deuterium dilution technique. We refined procedures for administration of isotope doses and collection of saliva. Furthermore, we established that equilibration time in local context is 3 h. These findings and the resulting standard operating procedures are important to improve data quality when using the deuterium dilution technique in malnutrition studies in field conditions, and may encourage a wider use of isotope techniques.
PublisherTaylor and Francis
DescriptionAbstract available only. Full article is not Open Access. We regret that this article is behind a paywall.
- Deuterium equilibrium time in saliva of newborn infants.
- Authors: Traver LA, Martinez FE, Ferriolli E, Marchini JS, Monteiro JP, Pfrimer K, Sanchez AP, de Oliveira T, Ducatti C, Camelo JS Jr
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Evaluation of the deuterium dilution method to estimate body composition in the barnacle goose: accuracy and minimum equilibration time.
- Authors: Eichhorn G, Visser GH
- Issue date: 2008 Jul-Aug
- Validation of predictive equations for use of deuterium oxide dilution to determine body composition of dogs.
- Authors: Burkholder WJ, Thatcher CD
- Issue date: 1998 Aug
- Deuterium equilibration time in infant's body water.
- Authors: Salazar G, Infante C, Vio F
- Issue date: 1994 Jul
- Implications of the variability in time to isotopic equilibrium in the deuterium dilution technique.
- Authors: Colley RC, Byrne NM, Hills AP
- Issue date: 2007 Nov