Evaluating a Mental Health Program for Palestinian Refugees in Lebanon
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMedecins sans Frontière, an international non-governmental organization, initiated a mental health program for Palestinian refugees living in Lebanon. To evaluate the impact of the program after its completion, focus groups were conducted with three target groups: (1) patients, (2) staff, and (3) local community stakeholders. Participants voiced overall satisfaction with the program. The program provided easy access, good quality care, decreased stigma, as perceived by participants, and revealed a sense of community contentedness. In addition, several short-term outcomes were achieved, such as increasing the numbers of patients visiting the center/ receiving mental health treatment. However, lack of planning for sustainability and proper procedures for hand-over of the program constituted a major downfall. Program discontinuation posed ethical dilemmas, common in provisional interventions in underprivileged refugee communities.
DescriptionWe regret that this article is behind a paywall.
- Description and predictive factors of individual outcomes in a refugee camp based mental health intervention (Beirut, Lebanon).
- Authors: Bastin P, Bastard M, Rossel L, Melgar P, Jones A, Antierens A
- Issue date: 2013
- Lessons from psychiatry in the Arab world--a Lebanese trainee psychiatrist's qualitative views on the provision of mental healthcare services for Palestinian refugees in Lebanon and an interview with a consultant psychiatrist on the effects of the Arab spring on the mental health of Libyans.
- Authors: Hankir A, Sadiq A
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Process evaluation of a community-based mental health promotion intervention for refugee children.
- Authors: Nakkash RT, Alaouie H, Haddad P, El Hajj T, Salem H, Mahfoud Z, Afifi RA
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- The effect of home-based care on housebound patients and their caregivers in two Palestinian refugee camps in Lebanon: a qualitative study.
- Authors: Sunallah M, van den Boogaard W, Lakis C, Rinchey L, Saavedra L
- Issue date: 2021 Jul
- The Functionality of Communal Coping in Chronic Uncertainty Environments: The Context of Palestinian Refugees in Lebanon.
- Authors: Afifi TD, Afifi WA, Acevedo Callejas M, Shahnazi A, White A, Nimah N
- Issue date: 2019 Nov