Thiamine Content of F-75 Therapeutic Milk for Complicated Severe Acute Malnutrition: Time for a Change?
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSince community-based management of severe acute malnutrition has become the standard of care, the clinical profile of severe acutely malnourished patients admitted to hospitals or inpatient therapeutic feeding centers has changed significantly. These patients are usually very ill and often present with several comorbidities, such as shock, sepsis, and pneumonia. Complicated severe acute malnutrition patients are at risk of thiamine insufficiency, and critically ill patients have higher thiamine requirements. The thiamine content of F-75, the therapeutic milk formula used in the early stabilization phase of refeeding in patients with severe acute malnutrition, seems insufficient. Here, we discuss the need and rationale for a substantial increase in the thiamine content of F-75.
DescriptionWe regret that this article is behind a paywall.
- A reduced-carbohydrate and lactose-free formulation for stabilization among hospitalized children with severe acute malnutrition: A double-blind, randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Bandsma RHJ, Voskuijl W, Chimwezi E, Fegan G, Briend A, Thitiri J, Ngari M, Mwalekwa L, Bandika V, Ali R, Hamid F, Owor B, Mturi N, Potani I, Allubha B, Muller Kobold AC, Bartels RH, Versloot CJ, Feenstra M, van den Brink DA, van Rheenen PF, Kerac M, Bourdon C, Berkley JA
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Comparison of the effectiveness of a milk-free soy-maize-sorghum-based ready-to-use therapeutic food to standard ready-to-use therapeutic food with 25% milk in nutrition management of severely acutely malnourished Zambian children: an equivalence non-blinded cluster randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Irena AH, Bahwere P, Owino VO, Diop EI, Bachmann MO, Mbwili-Muleya C, Dibari F, Sadler K, Collins S
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Outbreak of life-threatening thiamine deficiency in infants in Israel caused by a defective soy-based formula.
- Authors: Fattal-Valevski A, Kesler A, Sela BA, Nitzan-Kaluski D, Rotstein M, Mesterman R, Toledano-Alhadef H, Stolovitch C, Hoffmann C, Globus O, Eshel G
- Issue date: 2005 Feb
- Changes in plasma phosphate during in-patient treatment of children with severe acute malnutrition: an observational study in Uganda.
- Authors: Namusoke H, Hother AL, Rytter MJ, Kæstel P, Babirekere-Iriso E, Fabiansen C, Girma T, Ritz C, Michaelsen KF, Briend A, Friis H
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Management of severe acute malnutrition by cow milk in resource constraints settings: experience of the Nutritional Centre of the University Clinics of Graben.
- Authors: Mumbere M, Katsuva Mbahweka F, Furaha Nzanzu BP
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 20