Survivors' Perceptions of Public Health Messages During an Ebola Crisis in Liberia and Sierra Leone: An Exploratory Study
MetadataShow full item record
JournalNursing & Health Sciences
AbstractThe outbreak of Ebola virus disease in Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone was the largest epidemic of Ebola ever recorded. The healthcare workforce was diminished and exhausted as the region emerged from civil war. Few qualitative, descriptive studies have been conducted to date that concentrate on the voices of Ebola survivors and their perceptions of health messages. In this study, we employed an interpretive, qualitative design to explore participant experiences. Twenty five survivors who had recovered from Ebola were recruited from three villages in Liberia and Sierra Leone in August 2015. Data were collected using semistructured interviews. Data analysis revealed four themes: (i) degrees of mistrust; (ii) messages conflicting with life and culture; (iii) seeing is believing; and (iv) recovery inspires hope. The findings were explored in the context of the relevant literature. The themes highlight the need to develop culturally-appropriate messages, underpinned by a sound understanding of the community and a willingness to work with the culture and trusted leaders.
DescriptionWe regret that this article is behind a paywall.
- Experiences of Ebola Survivors: Causes of Distress and Sources of Resilience.
- Authors: Schwerdtle PM, De Clerck V, Plummer V
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- The link between the West African Ebola outbreak and health systems in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone: a systematic review.
- Authors: Shoman H, Karafillakis E, Rawaf S
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 4
- Development of a set of community-informed Ebola messages for Sierra Leone.
- Authors: Kinsman J, de Bruijne K, Jalloh AM, Harris M, Abdullah H, Boye-Thompson T, Sankoh O, Jalloh AK, Jalloh-Vos H
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Assessment of the potential for international dissemination of Ebola virus via commercial air travel during the 2014 west African outbreak.
- Authors: Bogoch II, Creatore MI, Cetron MS, Brownstein JS, Pesik N, Miniota J, Tam T, Hu W, Nicolucci A, Ahmed S, Yoon JW, Berry I, Hay SI, Anema A, Tatem AJ, MacFadden D, German M, Khan K
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 3
- Need for Reinforced Strategies to Support Delivery of HIV Clinical Services During the Ebola Outbreak in Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone.
- Authors: Mobula ML, Brown CA, Burnham G, Phelps BR
- Issue date: 2015 Oct