A Comparison of Self-report and Antiretroviral Detection to inform estimates of Antiretroviral Therapy Coverage, Viral Load Suppression and HIV incidence in Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa
MetadataShow full item record
JournalBMC Infectious Diseases
AbstractAccurately identifying individuals who are on antiretroviral therapy (ART) is important to determine ART coverage and proportion on ART who are virally suppressed. ART is also included in recent infection testing algorithms used to estimate incidence. We compared estimates of ART coverage, viral load suppression rates and HIV incidence using ART self-report and detection of antiretroviral (ARV) drugs and we identified factors associated with discordance between the methods.
- Progress towards the UNAIDS 90-90-90 goals by age and gender in a rural area of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa: a household-based community cross-sectional survey.
- Authors: Huerga H, Van Cutsem G, Ben Farhat J, Puren A, Bouhenia M, Wiesner L, Dlamini L, Maman D, Ellman T, Etard JF
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 2
- Short Communication: Assessing Estimates of HIV Incidence with a Recent Infection Testing Algorithm That Includes Viral Load Testing and Exposure to Antiretroviral Therapy.
- Authors: Kim AA, Rehle T
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Towards achieving the 90-90-90 HIV targets: results from the south African 2017 national HIV survey.
- Authors: Marinda E, Simbayi L, Zuma K, Zungu N, Moyo S, Kondlo L, Jooste S, Nadol P, Igumbor E, Dietrich C, Briggs-Hagen M
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 9
- Use of viral load to improve survey estimates of known HIV-positive status and antiretroviral treatment coverage.
- Authors: Young PW, Zielinski-Gutierrez E, Wamicwe J, Mukui I, Kim AA, Waruru A, Zeh C, Kretzschmar ME, De Cock KM
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 15
- Cross-sectional estimates revealed high HIV incidence in Botswana rural communities in the era of successful ART scale-up in 2013-2015.
- Authors: Moyo S, Gaseitsiwe S, Mohammed T, Pretorius Holme M, Wang R, Kotokwe KP, Boleo C, Mupfumi L, Yankinda EK, Chakalisa U, van Widenfelt E, Gaolathe T, Mmalane MO, Dryden-Peterson S, Mine M, Lebelonyane R, Bennett K, Leidner J, Wirth KE, Tchetgen Tchetgen E, Powis K, Moore J, Clarke WA, Lockman S, Makhema JM, Essex M, Novitsky V
- Issue date: 2018