High Prevalence of Shigella or Enteroinvasive Escherichia coli Carriage among Residents of an Internally Displaced Persons Camp in South Sudan
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDisplaced persons living in camps are at an increased risk of diarrheal diseases. Subclinical carriage of pathogens may contribute to the spread of disease, especially for microbes that require a low infectious dose. Multiplex real-time polymerase chain reaction was performed to detect a panel of 20 bacterial, viral, and protozoal targets, and we report a high prevalence of enteropathogen carriage, including Shigella spp. or enteroinvasive Escherichia coli in 14%, among a sample of 88 asymptomatic individuals in an internally displaced persons camp in South Sudan. Further studies are needed to determine the contribution of such carriage to the spread of disease.
DescriptionWe regret that this article is behind a paywall.
- Sensitivity and performance characteristics of a direct PCR with stool samples in comparison to conventional techniques for diagnosis of Shigella and enteroinvasive Escherichia coli infection in children with acute diarrhoea in Calcutta, India.
- Authors: Dutta S, Chatterjee A, Dutta P, Rajendran K, Roy S, Pramanik KC, Bhattacharya SK
- Issue date: 2001 Aug
- Utility of a polymerase chain reaction diagnostic system in a study of the epidemiology of shigellosis among dysentery patients, family contacts, and well controls living in a shigellosis-endemic area.
- Authors: Gaudio PA, Sethabutr O, Echeverria P, Hoge CW
- Issue date: 1997 Oct
- A large outbreak of shigellosis commencing in an internally displaced population, Papua New Guinea, 2013.
- Authors: Benny E, Mesere K, Pavlin BI, Yakam L, Ford R, Yoannes M, Kisa D, Abdad MY, Menda L, Greenhill AR, Horwood PF
- Issue date: 2014
- Evaluation of multiplex PCRs for diagnosis of infection with diarrheagenic Escherichia coli and Shigella spp.
- Authors: Aranda KR, Fagundes-Neto U, Scaletsky IC
- Issue date: 2004 Dec
- Prevalence and antimicrobial susceptibility of Salmonella and Shigella spp. among children with gastroenteritis in an Iranian referral hospital.
- Authors: Mahmoudi S, Pourakbari B, Moradzadeh M, Eshaghi H, Ramezani A, Haghi Ashtiani MT, Keshavarz Valian S, Mamishi S
- Issue date: 2017 Aug