Seasonal Malaria Chemoprevention: successes and missed opportunities
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSeasonal malaria chemoprevention (SMC) was recommended in 2012 for young children in the Sahel during the peak malaria transmission season. Children are given a single dose of sulfadoxine/pyrimethamine combined with a 3-day course of amodiaquine, once a month for up to 4 months. Roll-out and scale-up of SMC has been impressive, with 12 million children receiving the intervention in 2016. There is evidence of its overall benefit in routine implementation settings, and a meta-analysis of clinical trial data showed a 75% decrease in clinical malaria compared to placebo. SMC is not free of shortcomings. Its target zone includes many hard-to-reach areas, both because of poor infrastructure and because of political instability. Treatment adherence to a 3-day course of preventive treatment has not been fully documented, and could prove challenging. As SMC is scaled up, integration into a broader, community-based paradigm which includes other preventive and curative activities may prove beneficial, both for health systems and for recipients.
- Safety of Seasonal Malaria Chemoprevention (SMC) with Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine plus Amodiaquine when Delivered to Children under 10 Years of Age by District Health Services in Senegal: Results from a Stepped-Wedge Cluster Randomized Trial.
- Authors: NDiaye JL, Cissé B, Ba EH, Gomis JF, Ndour CT, Molez JF, Fall FB, Sokhna C, Faye B, Kouevijdin E, Niane FK, Cairns M, Trape JF, Rogier C, Gaye O, Greenwood BM, Milligan PJ
- Issue date: 2016
- Effectiveness of seasonal malaria chemoprevention at scale in west and central Africa: an observational study.
- Authors: ACCESS-SMC Partnership.
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 5
- Large-scale delivery of seasonal malaria chemoprevention to children under 10 in Senegal: an economic analysis.
- Authors: Pitt C, Ndiaye M, Conteh L, Sy O, Hadj Ba E, Cissé B, Gomis JF, Gaye O, Ndiaye JL, Milligan PJ
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 1
- Effectiveness of Seasonal Malaria Chemoprevention in Children under Ten Years of Age in Senegal: A Stepped-Wedge Cluster-Randomised Trial.
- Authors: Cissé B, Ba EH, Sokhna C, NDiaye JL, Gomis JF, Dial Y, Pitt C, NDiaye M, Cairns M, Faye E, NDiaye M, Lo A, Tine R, Faye S, Faye B, Sy O, Konate L, Kouevijdin E, Flach C, Faye O, Trape JF, Sutherland C, Fall FB, Thior PM, Faye OK, Greenwood B, Gaye O, Milligan P
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- Seasonal malaria chemoprevention in an area of extended seasonal transmission in Ashanti, Ghana: an individually randomised clinical trial.
- Authors: Tagbor H, Antwi GD, Acheampong PR, Bart Plange C, Chandramohan D, Cairns M
- Issue date: 2016 Feb