MetadataShow full item record
JournalScience (New York, N.Y.)
AbstractThe seventh cholera pandemic has heavily affected Africa, although the origin and continental spread of the disease remain undefined. We used genomic data from 1070 Vibrio cholerae O1 isolates, across 45 African countries and over a 49-year period, to show that past epidemics were attributable to a single expanded lineage. This lineage was introduced at least 11 times since 1970, into two main regions, West Africa and East/Southern Africa, causing epidemics that lasted up to 28 years. The last five introductions into Africa, all from Asia, involved multidrug-resistant sublineages that replaced antibiotic-susceptible sublineages after 2000. This phylogenetic framework describes the periodicity of lineage introduction and the stable routes of cholera spread, which should inform the rational design of control measures for cholera in Africa.
- Vibrio cholerae O1 lineages driving cholera outbreaks during seventh cholera pandemic in Ghana.
- Authors: Thompson CC, Freitas FS, Marin MA, Fonseca EL, Okeke IN, Vicente AC
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Phylogenetic Diversity of Vibrio cholerae Associated with Endemic Cholera in Mexico from 1991 to 2008.
- Authors: Choi SY, Rashed SM, Hasan NA, Alam M, Islam T, Sadique A, Johura FT, Eppinger M, Ravel J, Huq A, Cravioto A, Colwell RR
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 15
- Hybrid Vibrio cholerae El Tor lacking SXT identified as the cause of a cholera outbreak in the Philippines.
- Authors: Klinzing DC, Choi SY, Hasan NA, Matias RR, Tayag E, Geronimo J, Skowronski E, Rashed SM, Kawashima K, Rosenzweig CN, Gibbons HS, Torres BC, Liles V, Alfon AC, Juan ML, Natividad FF, Cebula TA, Colwell RR
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 21
- Comparative genome analysis of VSP-II and SNPs reveals heterogenic variation in contemporary strains of Vibrio cholerae O1 isolated from cholera patients in Kolkata, India.
- Authors: Imamura D, Morita M, Sekizuka T, Mizuno T, Takemura T, Yamashiro T, Chowdhury G, Pazhani GP, Mukhopadhyay AK, Ramamurthy T, Miyoshi SI, Kuroda M, Shinoda S, Ohnishi M
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Comparative genomic analysis of two isolates of Vibrio cholerae O1 Ogawa El Tor isolated during outbreak in Mariupol in 2011.
- Authors: Kuleshov KV, Kostikova A, Pisarenko SV, Kovalev DA, Tikhonov SN, Savelievа IV, Saveliev VN, Vasilieva OV, Zinich LS, Pidchenko NN, Kulichenko AN, Shipulin GA
- Issue date: 2016 Oct