MetadataShow full item record
JournalScience (New York, N.Y.)
AbstractThe seventh cholera pandemic has heavily affected Africa, although the origin and continental spread of the disease remain undefined. We used genomic data from 1070 Vibrio cholerae O1 isolates, across 45 African countries and over a 49-year period, to show that past epidemics were attributable to a single expanded lineage. This lineage was introduced at least 11 times since 1970, into two main regions, West Africa and East/Southern Africa, causing epidemics that lasted up to 28 years. The last five introductions into Africa, all from Asia, involved multidrug-resistant sublineages that replaced antibiotic-susceptible sublineages after 2000. This phylogenetic framework describes the periodicity of lineage introduction and the stable routes of cholera spread, which should inform the rational design of control measures for cholera in Africa.
- Genomic insights into Vibrio cholerae O1 responsible for cholera epidemics in Tanzania between 1993 and 2017.
- Authors: Hounmanou YMG, Leekitcharoenphon P, Kudirkiene E, Mdegela RH, Hendriksen RS, Olsen JE, Dalsgaard A
- Issue date: 2019 Dec
- Vibrio cholerae O1 lineages driving cholera outbreaks during seventh cholera pandemic in Ghana.
- Authors: Thompson CC, Freitas FS, Marin MA, Fonseca EL, Okeke IN, Vicente AC
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Comparative genome analysis of VSP-II and SNPs reveals heterogenic variation in contemporary strains of Vibrio cholerae O1 isolated from cholera patients in Kolkata, India.
- Authors: Imamura D, Morita M, Sekizuka T, Mizuno T, Takemura T, Yamashiro T, Chowdhury G, Pazhani GP, Mukhopadhyay AK, Ramamurthy T, Miyoshi SI, Kuroda M, Shinoda S, Ohnishi M
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Comparative genomic analysis of two isolates of Vibrio cholerae O1 Ogawa El Tor isolated during outbreak in Mariupol in 2011.
- Authors: Kuleshov KV, Kostikova A, Pisarenko SV, Kovalev DA, Tikhonov SN, Savelievа IV, Saveliev VN, Vasilieva OV, Zinich LS, Pidchenko NN, Kulichenko AN, Shipulin GA
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Comparative analyses of CTX prophage region of Vibrio cholerae seventh pandemic wave 1 strains isolated in Asia.
- Authors: Pham TD, Nguyen TH, Iwashita H, Takemura T, Morita K, Yamashiro T
- Issue date: 2018 Oct