Drivers for Rift Valley fever emergence in Mayotte: A Bayesian modelling approach
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases
AbstractRift Valley fever (RVF) is a major zoonotic and arboviral hemorrhagic fever. The conditions leading to RVF epidemics are still unclear, and the relative role of climatic and anthropogenic factors may vary between ecosystems. Here, we estimate the most likely scenario that led to RVF emergence on the island of Mayotte, following the 2006-2007 African epidemic. We developed the first mathematical model for RVF that accounts for climate, animal imports and livestock susceptibility, which is fitted to a 12-years dataset. RVF emergence was found to be triggered by the import of infectious animals, whilst transmissibility was approximated as a linear or exponential function of vegetation density. Model forecasts indicated a very low probability of virus endemicity in 2017, and therefore of re-emergence in a closed system (i.e. without import of infected animals). However, the very high proportion of naive animals reached in 2016 implies that the island remains vulnerable to the import of infectious animals. We recommend reinforcing surveillance in livestock, should RVF be reported is neighbouring territories. Our model should be tested elsewhere, with ecosystem-specific data.
PublisherPublic Library of Science
- Phylogeographic Reconstructions of a Rift Valley Fever Virus Strain Reveals Transboundary Animal Movements from Eastern Continental Africa to the Union of the Comoros.
- Authors: Maquart M, Pascalis H, Abdouroihamane S, Roger M, Abdourahime F, Cardinale E, Cêtre-Sossah C
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- [Rift Valley fever].
- Authors: Pépin M, avec la participation de la CIRE Réunion-Mayotte et l'Institut de Veille Sanitaire (InVS).
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- A network-based meta-population approach to model Rift Valley fever epidemics.
- Authors: Xue L, Scott HM, Cohnstaedt LW, Scoglio C
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 7
- Spatial, seasonal and climatic predictive models of Rift Valley fever disease across Africa.
- Authors: Redding DW, Tiedt S, Lo Iacono G, Bett B, Jones KE
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 19
- Seroprevalence of Rift Valley fever virus in livestock during inter-epidemic period in Egypt, 2014/15.
- Authors: Mroz C, Gwida M, El-Ashker M, El-Diasty M, El-Beskawy M, Ziegler U, Eiden M, Groschup MH
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 5