Improving rotavirus vaccine coverage: Can newer-generation and locally produced vaccines help?
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThere are two internationally available WHO-prequalified oral rotavirus vaccines (Rotarix and RotaTeq), two rotavirus vaccines licensed in India (Rotavac and Rotasiil), one in China (Lanzhou lamb rotavirus vaccine) and one in Vietnam (Rotavin-M1), and several candidates in development. Rotavirus vaccination has been rolled out in Latin American countries and is beginning to be deployed in sub-Saharan African countries but middle- and low-income Asian countries have lagged behind in rotavirus vaccine introduction. We provide a mini-review of the leading newer-generation rotavirus vaccines and compare them with Rotarix and RotaTeq. We discuss how the development and future availability of newer-generation rotavirus vaccines that address the programmatic needs of poorer countries may help scale-up rotavirus vaccination where it is needed.
PublisherTaylor & Francis
- Implementation of Rotavirus Surveillance and Vaccine Introduction - World Health Organization African Region, 2007-2016.
- Authors: Mwenda JM, Burke RM, Shaba K, Mihigo R, Tevi-Benissan MC, Mumba M, Biey JN, Cheikh D, Poy MSc A, Zawaira FR, Aliabadi N, Tate JE, Hyde T, Cohen AL, Parashar UD
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 3
- Re-evaluating the cost and cost-effectiveness of rotavirus vaccination in Bangladesh, Ghana, and Malawi: A comparison of three rotavirus vaccines.
- Authors: Pecenka C, Debellut F, Bar-Zeev N, Anwari P, Nonvignon J, Shamsuzzaman M, Clark A
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 26
- Rotavirus vaccination: a concise review.
- Authors: Vesikari T
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of rotavirus vaccination in China: Projected possibility of scale-up from the current domestic option.
- Authors: Cui S, Tobe RG, Mo X, Liu X, Xu L, Li S
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 15
- A Phase 4, multicentre, randomized, single-blind clinical trial to evaluate the immunogenicity of the live, attenuated, oral rotavirus vaccine (116E), ROTAVAC®, administered simultaneously with or without the buffering agent in healthy infants in India.
- Authors: Ella R, Bobba R, Muralidhar S, Babji S, Vadrevu KM, Bhan MK
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 3