Improving rotavirus vaccine coverage: Can newer-generation and locally produced vaccines help?
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThere are two internationally available WHO-prequalified oral rotavirus vaccines (Rotarix and RotaTeq), two rotavirus vaccines licensed in India (Rotavac and Rotasiil), one in China (Lanzhou lamb rotavirus vaccine) and one in Vietnam (Rotavin-M1), and several candidates in development. Rotavirus vaccination has been rolled out in Latin American countries and is beginning to be deployed in sub-Saharan African countries but middle- and low-income Asian countries have lagged behind in rotavirus vaccine introduction. We provide a mini-review of the leading newer-generation rotavirus vaccines and compare them with Rotarix and RotaTeq. We discuss how the development and future availability of newer-generation rotavirus vaccines that address the programmatic needs of poorer countries may help scale-up rotavirus vaccination where it is needed.
PublisherTaylor & Francis
- Product review of the rotavirus vaccines ROTASIIL, ROTAVAC, and Rotavin-M1.
- Authors: Skansberg A, Sauer M, Tan M, Santosham M, Jennings MC
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 3
- A randomized, open-labelled, non-inferiority phase 4 clinical trial to evaluate the immunogenicity and safety of the live, attenuated, oral rotavirus vaccine, ROTAVAC® in comparison with a licensed rotavirus vaccine in healthy infants.
- Authors: Ella R, Babji S, Ciarlet M, Blackwelder WC, Vadrevu KM
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 18
- Epidemiology of rotavirus gastroenteritis and need of high rotavirus vaccine coverage with early completion of vaccination schedule for protection against rotavirus diarrhea in India: A narrative review.
- Authors: Raju B, Parikh RP, Vetter VV, Kolhapure S
- Issue date: 2019 Jul-Sep
- Implementation of Rotavirus Surveillance and Vaccine Introduction - World Health Organization African Region, 2007-2016.
- Authors: Mwenda JM, Burke RM, Shaba K, Mihigo R, Tevi-Benissan MC, Mumba M, Biey JN, Cheikh D, Poy MSc A, Zawaira FR, Aliabadi N, Tate JE, Hyde T, Cohen AL, Parashar UD
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 3
- Re-evaluating the cost and cost-effectiveness of rotavirus vaccination in Bangladesh, Ghana, and Malawi: A comparison of three rotavirus vaccines.
- Authors: Pecenka C, Debellut F, Bar-Zeev N, Anwari P, Nonvignon J, Shamsuzzaman M, Clark A
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 26