IPT during HIV treatment in Myanmar: high rates of coverage, completion and drug adherence
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPublic Health Action
AbstractSetting: A southern Myanmar district providing isoniazid preventive therapy (IPT) in one of the last countries to formally recommend it as part of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) care.Objective:To assess coverage and adherence and the feasibility of IPT scale-up in a routine care setting in Myanmar.Design:A retrospective analysis of people living with HIV (PLHIV) screened for tuberculosis (TB) and enrolled in IPT over a 3-year period (July 2011-June 2014) using clinical databases.Results:Among 3377 patients under HIV care and screened for TB, 2740 (81.1%) initiated IPT, with 2651 (96.8%) completing a 6- or 9-month course of IPT; 83 (3.1%) interrupted treatment for different reasons, including loss to follow-up (n= 41), side effects (n= 15) or drug adherence issues (n= 9); 6 (0.2%) died. Among the IPT patients, 33 (1.2%) were diagnosed with TB, including 9 (0.3%) while on IPT and 24 (0.9%) within 1 year of completion of therapy. Among the PLHIV who completed IPT, one case of isoniazid resistance was detected.Conclusion:Scaling up IPT in Myanmar HIV settings is feasible with high rates of drug adherence and completion, and a low rate of discontinuation due to side effects. IPT scale-up should be prioritised in HIV clinical settings in Myanmar.
- IPT in people living with HIV in Myanmar: a five-fold decrease in incidence of TB disease and all-cause mortality.
- Authors: Kyaw NTT, Kumar AMV, Kyaw KWY, Satyanarayana S, Magee MJ, Min AC, Moe J, Aung ZZ, Aung TK, Oo MM, Soe KT, Oo HN, Aung ST, Harries AD
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 1
- Implementation of isoniazid preventive therapy in an HIV clinic in Cambodia: high rates of discontinuation when combined with antiretroviral therapy.
- Authors: van Griensven J, Choun K, Chim B, Thai S, Lorent N, Lynen L
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Routine implementation of isoniazid preventive therapy in HIV-infected patients in seven pilot sites in Zimbabwe.
- Authors: Takarinda KC, Choto RC, Harries AD, Mutasa-Apollo T, Chakanyuka-Musanhu C
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 21
- High completion rates of isoniazid preventive therapy among persons living with HIV in Swaziland.
- Authors: Adams LV, Mahlalela N, Talbot EA, Pasipamire M, Ginindza S, Calnan M, Haumba S
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 1
- Beneficial effect of isoniazid preventive therapy and antiretroviral therapy on the incidence of tuberculosis in people living with HIV in Ethiopia.
- Authors: Yirdaw KD, Jerene D, Gashu Z, Edginton ME, Kumar AM, Letamo Y, Feleke B, Teklu AM, Zewdu S, Weiss B, Ruff A
- Issue date: 2014