IPT during HIV treatment in Myanmar: high rates of coverage, completion and drug adherence
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPublic Health Action
AbstractSetting: A southern Myanmar district providing isoniazid preventive therapy (IPT) in one of the last countries to formally recommend it as part of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) care.Objective:To assess coverage and adherence and the feasibility of IPT scale-up in a routine care setting in Myanmar.Design:A retrospective analysis of people living with HIV (PLHIV) screened for tuberculosis (TB) and enrolled in IPT over a 3-year period (July 2011-June 2014) using clinical databases.Results:Among 3377 patients under HIV care and screened for TB, 2740 (81.1%) initiated IPT, with 2651 (96.8%) completing a 6- or 9-month course of IPT; 83 (3.1%) interrupted treatment for different reasons, including loss to follow-up (n= 41), side effects (n= 15) or drug adherence issues (n= 9); 6 (0.2%) died. Among the IPT patients, 33 (1.2%) were diagnosed with TB, including 9 (0.3%) while on IPT and 24 (0.9%) within 1 year of completion of therapy. Among the PLHIV who completed IPT, one case of isoniazid resistance was detected.Conclusion:Scaling up IPT in Myanmar HIV settings is feasible with high rates of drug adherence and completion, and a low rate of discontinuation due to side effects. IPT scale-up should be prioritised in HIV clinical settings in Myanmar.
- IPT in people living with HIV in Myanmar: a five-fold decrease in incidence of TB disease and all-cause mortality.
- Authors: Kyaw NTT, Kumar AMV, Kyaw KWY, Satyanarayana S, Magee MJ, Min AC, Moe J, Aung ZZ, Aung TK, Oo MM, Soe KT, Oo HN, Aung ST, Harries AD
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 1
- A prospective cohort study of outcomes for isoniazid prevention therapy: a nested study from a national QI collaborative in Uganda.
- Authors: Sensalire S, Karungi Karamagi Nkolo E, Nabwire J, Lawino A, Kiragga D, Muhire M, Kadama H, Katureebe C, Namuwenge P, Musinguzi J, Calnan J, Seyoum D
- Issue date: 2020 May 27
- Isoniazid preventive therapy: Uptake, incidence of tuberculosis and survival among people living with HIV in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe.
- Authors: Nyathi S, Dlodlo RA, Satyanarayana S, Takarinda KC, Tweya H, Hove S, Matambo R, Mandewo W, Nyathi K, Sibanda E, Harries AD
- Issue date: 2019
- Initiation and completion rates of isoniazid preventive therapy among people living with HIV in Far-Western Region of Nepal: a retrospective cohort study.
- Authors: Dhungana GP, Thekkur P, Chinnakali P, Bhatta U, Pandey B, Zhang WH
- Issue date: 2019 May 29
- To start or to complete? - Challenges in implementing tuberculosis preventive therapy among people living with HIV: a mixed-methods study from Karnataka, India.
- Authors: Reddy MM, Thekkur P, Ramya N, Kamath PBT, Shastri SG, Kumar RBN, Chinnakali P, Nirgude AS, Rangaraju C, Somashekar N, Kumar AMV
- Issue date: 2020