Precision medicine for drug-resistant tuberculosis in high-burden countries: is individualised treatment desirable and feasible?
MetadataShow full item record
JournalThe Lancet. Infectious Diseases
AbstractTreatment for drug-resistant tuberculosis is largely delivered through standardised, empirical combination regimens in low-resource, high-burden settings. However, individualised treatment, guided by detailed drug susceptibility testing, probably results in improved individual outcomes and is the standard of care in well-resourced settings. Driven by the urgent need to scale up treatment provision, new tuberculosis drugs, incorporated into standardised regimens, are being tested. Although standardised regimens are expected to improve access to treatment in high-burden settings, they are also likely to contribute to the emergence of resistance, even with good clinical management. We argue that a balance is required between the need to improve treatment access and the imperative to minimise resistance amplification and provide the highest standard of care, through a precision medicine approach. In tuberculosis, as in other diseases, we should aim to reduce the entrenched inequalities that manifest as different standards of care in different settings.
- Successful management of highly drug resistant tuberculosis with individualised drug susceptibility testing.
- Authors: Soman R, Pillai P, Madan S, Shetty A, Rodrigues C
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Drug-resistant tuberculosis: An update on disease burden, diagnosis and treatment.
- Authors: Lange C, Chesov D, Heyckendorf J, Leung CC, Udwadia Z, Dheda K
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Successful management of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis under programme conditions in the Dominican Republic.
- Authors: Rodriguez M, Monedero I, Caminero JA, Encarnación M, Dominguez Y, Acosta I, Muñoz E, Camilo E, Martinez-Selmo S, de los Santos S, del Granado M, Casals M, Cayla J, Marcelino B
- Issue date: 2013 Apr
- Efficacy and safety of regimens for drug-resistant tuberculosis.
- Authors: Yates TA, Nunn AJ
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis of the spine--is it the beginning of the end? A study of twenty-five culture proven multidrug-resistant tuberculosis spine patients.
- Authors: Pawar UM, Kundnani V, Agashe V, Nene A, Nene A
- Issue date: 2009 Oct 15