Molecular markers of resistance to amodiaquine plus sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine in an area with seasonal malaria chemoprevention in south central Niger
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn Niger, malaria transmission is markedly seasonal with most of the disease burden occurring in children during the rainy season. Seasonal malaria chemoprevention (SMC) with amodiaquine plus sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine (AQ + SP) is recommended in the country to be administered monthly just before and during the rainy season. Moreover, clinical decisions on use of SP for intermittent preventive treatment in pregnancy (IPTp) now depend upon the validated molecular markers for SP resistance in Plasmodium falciparum observed in the local parasite population. However, little is known about molecular markers of resistance for either SP or AQ in the south of Niger. To address this question, clinical samples which met clinical and biological criteria, were collected in Gabi, Madarounfa district, Maradi region, Niger in 2011-2012 (before SMC implementation). Molecular markers of resistance to pyrimethamine (pfdhfr), sulfadoxine (pfdhps) and amodiaquine (pfmdr1) were assessed by DNA sequencing.
- Profile of molecular mutations in pfdhfr, pfdhps, pfmdr1, and pfcrt genes of Plasmodium falciparum related to resistance to different anti-malarial drugs in the Bata District (Equatorial Guinea).
- Authors: Berzosa P, Esteban-Cantos A, García L, González V, Navarro M, Fernández T, Romay-Barja M, Herrador Z, Rubio JM, Ncogo P, Santana-Morales M, Valladares B, Riloha M, Benito A
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 13
- Low-grade sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine resistance in Plasmodium falciparum parasites from Lubango, Angola.
- Authors: Kaingona-Daniel EP, Gomes LR, Gama BE, Almeida-de-Oliveira NK, Fortes F, Ménard D, Daniel-Ribeiro CT, Ferreira-da-Cruz Mde F
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 7
- Molecular surveillance of Plasmodium falciparum drug resistance markers reveals partial recovery of chloroquine susceptibility but sustained sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine resistance at two sites of different malaria transmission intensities in Rwanda.
- Authors: Kateera F, Nsobya SL, Tukwasibwe S, Hakizimana E, Mutesa L, Mens PF, Grobusch MP, van Vugt M, Kumar N
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Prevalence of molecular markers of drug resistance in an area of seasonal malaria chemoprevention in children in Senegal.
- Authors: Lo AC, Faye B, Ba el-H, Cisse B, Tine R, Abiola A, Ndiaye M, Ndiaye JL, Ndiaye D, Sokhna C, Gomis JF, Dieng Y, Faye O, Ndir O, Milligan P, Cairns M, Hallett R, Sutherland C, Gaye O
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 23
- Molecular markers of resistance to sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine during intermittent preventive treatment of pregnant women in Benin.
- Authors: Bertin G, Briand V, Bonaventure D, Carrieu A, Massougbodji A, Cot M, Deloron P
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 19