Risk factors for measles mortality and the importance of decentralized case management during an unusually large measles epidemic in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo in 2013
Thuambe Lwiyo, E
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn 2013, a large measles epidemic occurred in the Aketi Health Zone of the Democratic Republic of Congo. We conducted a two-stage, retrospective cluster survey to estimate the attack rate, the case fatality rate, and the measles-specific mortality rate during the epidemic. 1424 households containing 7880 individuals were included. The estimated attack rate was 14.0%, (35.0% among children aged <5 years). The estimated case fatality rate was 4.2% (6.1% among children aged <5 years). Spatial analysis and linear regression showed that younger children, those who did not receive care, and those living farther away from Aketi Hospital early in the epidemic had a higher risk of measles related death. Vaccination coverage prior to the outbreak was low (76%), and a delayed reactive vaccination campaign contributed to the high attack rate. We provide evidences suggesting that a comprehensive case management approach reduced measles fatality during this epidemic in rural, inaccessible resource-poor setting.
PublisherPublic Library of Science
- Measles in Democratic Republic of Congo: an outbreak description from Katanga, 2010-2011.
- Authors: Grout L, Minetti A, Hurtado N, François G, Fermon F, Chatelain A, Harczi G, Ngoie Jde D, N'Goran A, Luquero FJ, Grais RF, Porten K
- Issue date: 2013 May 22
- Measles outbreak investigation in Guji zone of Oromia Region, Ethiopia.
- Authors: Belda K, Tegegne AA, Mersha AM, Bayenessagne MG, Hussein I, Bezabeh B
- Issue date: 2017
- Community-based measles mortality surveillance in two districts of Katanga Province, Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Authors: N'goran AA, Ilunga N, Coldiron ME, Grais RF, Porten K
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 17
- Exploring the time to intervene with a reactive mass vaccination campaign in measles epidemics.
- Authors: Grais RF, DE Radiguès X, Dubray C, Fermon F, Guerin PJ
- Issue date: 2006 Aug
- Antecedent causes of a measles resurgence in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Authors: Scobie HM, Ilunga BK, Mulumba A, Shidi C, Coulibaly T, Obama R, Tamfum JJ, Simbu EP, Smit SB, Masresha B, Perry RT, Alleman MM, Kretsinger K, Goodson J
- Issue date: 2015