Effects of the 2014 Ebola outbreak on antenatal care and delivery outcomes in Liberia: a nationwide analysis
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPublic Health Action
AbstractSetting: All health facilities, public and private, in Liberia, West Africa. Objectives: To determine access to antenatal care (ANC), deliveries and their outcomes before, during and after the 2014-2015 Ebola outbreak. Design: This was a descriptive cross-sectional study. Result: During the Ebola outbreak in Liberia, overall monthly reporting from health facilities plunged by 43%. Access to ANC declined by 50% and reported deliveries fell by one third during the outbreak. Reported deliveries by skilled attendants and Caesarian section declined by respectively 32% and 60%. Facility-based deliveries dropped by 35% and reported community deliveries fell by 47%. There was an overall decline in reported stillbirths, maternal and neonatal deaths, by 50%, during the outbreak. ANC, reported deliveries and related outcomes returned to pre-outbreak levels within one year following the outbreak. Conclusion: The Liberian health system was considerably weakened during the Ebola outbreak and had difficulties providing basic maternal health services. In the light of the major reporting gaps during the Ebola period, and the reduced use of health facilities for maternal care, these findings highlight the need for measures to avoid such disruptions during future outbreaks.
- Did the Ebola outbreak disrupt immunisation services? A case study from Liberia.
- Authors: Wesseh CS, Najjemba R, Edwards JK, Owiti P, Tweya H, Bhat P
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 21
- Effect of Ebola virus disease on maternal and child health services in Guinea: a retrospective observational cohort study.
- Authors: Delamou A, El Ayadi AM, Sidibe S, Delvaux T, Camara BS, Sandouno SD, Beavogui AH, Rutherford GW, Okumura J, Zhang WH, De Brouwere V
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Life goes on: the resilience of maternal primary care during the Ebola outbreak in rural Sierra Leone.
- Authors: Caulker VML, Mishra S, van Griensven J, Moosa A, Najjemba R, Shringarpure K, Chan AK
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 21
- Services for mothers and newborns during the ebola outbreak in liberia: the need for improvement in emergencies.
- Authors: Iyengar P, Kerber K, Howe CJ, Dahn B
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 16
- Timing and utilization of antenatal care services in Liberia: Understanding the pre-Ebola epidemic context.
- Authors: Luginaah IN, Kangmennaang J, Fallah M, Dahn B, Kateh F, Nyenswah T
- Issue date: 2016 Jul