Age-stratified tuberculosis treatment outcomes in Zimbabwe: are we paying attention to the most vulnerable?
van den Boogaard, W
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPublic Health Action
AbstractSetting: A high tuberculosis (TB) incidence, resource-limited urban setting in Zimbabwe. Objectives: To compare treatment outcomes among people initiated on first-line anti-tuberculosis treatment in relation to age and other explanatory factors. Design: This was a retrospective record review of routine programme data. Results: Of 2209 patients included in the study, 133 (6%) were children (aged <10 years), 132 (6%) adolescents (10-19 years), 1782 (81%) adults (20-59 years) and 162 (7%) were aged ⩾60 years, defined as elderly. The highest proportion of smear-negative pulmonary TB cases was among the elderly (40%). Unfavourable outcomes, mainly deaths, increased proportionately with age, and were highest among the elderly (adjusted relative risk 3.8, 95%CI 1.3-10.7). Having previous TB, being human immunodeficiency virus positive and not on antiretroviral treatment or cotrimoxazole preventive therapy were associated with an increased risk of unfavourable outcomes. Conclusion: The elderly had the worst outcomes among all the age groups. This may be related to immunosuppressant comorbidities or other age-related diseases mis-classified as TB, as a significant proportion were smear-negative. Older persons need better adapted TB management and more sensitive diagnostic tools, such as Xpert® MTB/RIF.
- Evaluation of the Xpert MTB/RIF assay for the diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis in a high HIV prevalence setting.
- Authors: Theron G, Peter J, van Zyl-Smit R, Mishra H, Streicher E, Murray S, Dawson R, Whitelaw A, Hoelscher M, Sharma S, Pai M, Warren R, Dheda K
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 1
- Intensified tuberculosis case-finding in HIV-positive adults managed at Ethiopian health centers: diagnostic yield of Xpert MTB/RIF compared with smear microscopy and liquid culture.
- Authors: Balcha TT, Sturegård E, Winqvist N, Skogmar S, Reepalu A, Jemal ZH, Tibesso G, Schön T, Björkman P
- Issue date: 2014
- Evaluation of the Xpert® MTB/RIF assay and microscopy for the diagnosis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Namibia.
- Authors: Mavenyengwa RT, Shaduka E, Maposa I
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 11
- Burden of tuberculosis in intensive care units in Cape Town, South Africa, and assessment of the accuracy and effect on patient outcomes of the Xpert MTB/RIF test on tracheal aspirate samples for diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis: a prospective burden of disease study with a nested randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Calligaro GL, Theron G, Khalfey H, Peter J, Meldau R, Matinyenya B, Davids M, Smith L, Pooran A, Lesosky M, Esmail A, Miller MG, Piercy J, Michell L, Dawson R, Raine RI, Joubert I, Dheda K
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- Are HIV-positive presumptive tuberculosis patients without tuberculosis getting the care they need in Zimbabwe?
- Authors: Dlodlo RA, Hwalima ZE, Sithole S, Takarinda KC, Tayler-Smith K, Harries AD
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 21