Age-stratified tuberculosis treatment outcomes in Zimbabwe: are we paying attention to the most vulnerable?
van den Boogaard, W
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPublic Health Action
AbstractSetting: A high tuberculosis (TB) incidence, resource-limited urban setting in Zimbabwe. Objectives: To compare treatment outcomes among people initiated on first-line anti-tuberculosis treatment in relation to age and other explanatory factors. Design: This was a retrospective record review of routine programme data. Results: Of 2209 patients included in the study, 133 (6%) were children (aged <10 years), 132 (6%) adolescents (10-19 years), 1782 (81%) adults (20-59 years) and 162 (7%) were aged ⩾60 years, defined as elderly. The highest proportion of smear-negative pulmonary TB cases was among the elderly (40%). Unfavourable outcomes, mainly deaths, increased proportionately with age, and were highest among the elderly (adjusted relative risk 3.8, 95%CI 1.3-10.7). Having previous TB, being human immunodeficiency virus positive and not on antiretroviral treatment or cotrimoxazole preventive therapy were associated with an increased risk of unfavourable outcomes. Conclusion: The elderly had the worst outcomes among all the age groups. This may be related to immunosuppressant comorbidities or other age-related diseases mis-classified as TB, as a significant proportion were smear-negative. Older persons need better adapted TB management and more sensitive diagnostic tools, such as Xpert® MTB/RIF.
- Xpert® MTB/RIF assay for pulmonary tuberculosis and rifampicin resistance in adults.
- Authors: Steingart KR, Schiller I, Horne DJ, Pai M, Boehme CC, Dendukuri N
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 21
- Evaluation of the Xpert MTB/RIF assay for the diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis in a high HIV prevalence setting.
- Authors: Theron G, Peter J, van Zyl-Smit R, Mishra H, Streicher E, Murray S, Dawson R, Whitelaw A, Hoelscher M, Sharma S, Pai M, Warren R, Dheda K
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 1
- Tuberculosis treatment outcomes among people living with HIV diagnosed using Xpert MTB/RIF versus sputum-smear microscopy in Botswana: a stepped-wedge cluster randomised trial.
- Authors: Agizew T, Chihota V, Nyirenda S, Tedla Z, Auld AF, Mathebula U, Mathoma A, Boyd R, Date A, Pals SL, Lekone P, Finlay A
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 16
- Evaluation of the Xpert MTB/RIF assay for the diagnosis of smear-negative pulmonary and extrapulmonary tuberculosis in Madagascar.
- Authors: Rakotoarivelo R, Ambrosioni J, Rasolofo V, Raberahona M, Rakotosamimanana N, Andrianasolo R, Ramanampamonjy R, Tiaray M, Razafimahefa J, Rakotoson J, Randria M, Bonnet F, Calmy A, MadaXpert Study Group.
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Comparison of Xpert MTB/RIF with other nucleic acid technologies for diagnosing pulmonary tuberculosis in a high HIV prevalence setting: a prospective study.
- Authors: Scott LE, McCarthy K, Gous N, Nduna M, Van Rie A, Sanne I, Venter WF, Duse A, Stevens W
- Issue date: 2011 Jul