Cryptococcal antigen screening by lay cadres using a rapid test at the point of care: A feasibility study in rural Lesotho
Van Cutsem, G
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCryptococcal meningitis is one of the leading causes of death among people with HIV in Africa, primarily due to delayed presentation, poor availability and high cost of treatment. Routine cryptococcal antigen (CrAg) screening of patients with a CD4 count less than 100 cells/mm3, followed by pre-emptive therapy if positive, might reduce mortality in high prevalence settings. Using the cryptococcal antigen (CrAg) lateral flow assay (LFA), screening is possible at the point of care (POC). However, critical shortages of health staff may limit adoption. This study investigates the feasibility of lay counsellors conducting CrAg LFA screening in rural primary care clinics in Lesotho.
PublisherPublic Library of Science
- Cryptococcal antigen prevalence in HIV-infected Tanzanians: a cross-sectional study and evaluation of a point-of-care lateral flow assay.
- Authors: Rugemalila J, Maro VP, Kapanda G, Ndaro AJ, Jarvis JN
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Asymptomatic cryptococcal antigen prevalence detected by lateral flow assay in hospitalised HIV-infected patients in São Paulo, Brazil.
- Authors: Vidal JE, Toniolo C, Paulino A, Colombo A, Dos Anjos Martins M, da Silva Meira C, Pereira-Chioccola VL, Figueiredo-Mello C, Barros T, Duarte J, Fonseca F, Alves Cunha M, Mendes C, Ribero T, Dos Santos Lazera M, Rajasingham R, Boulware DR
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- LATERAL FLOW ASSAY FOR CRYPTOCOCCAL ANTIGEN: AN IMPORTANT ADVANCE TO IMPROVE THE CONTINUUM OF HIV CARE AND REDUCE CRYPTOCOCCAL MENINGITIS-RELATED MORTALITY.
- Authors: Vidal JE, Boulware DR
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Cryptococcal Antigen Screening in Patients Initiating ART in South Africa: A Prospective Cohort Study.
- Authors: Longley N, Jarvis JN, Meintjes G, Boulle A, Cross A, Kelly N, Govender NP, Bekker LG, Wood R, Harrison TS
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 1
- Validation of clinic-based cryptococcal antigen lateral flow assay screening in HIV-infected adults in South Africa.
- Authors: Drain PK, Hong T, Krows M, Govere S, Thulare H, Wallis CL, Gosnell BI, Moosa MY, Bassett IV, Celum C
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 25