Did microbial larviciding contribute to a reduction in malaria cases in eastern Botswana in 2012-2013?
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPublic Health Action
AbstractSetting: Larviciding has potential as a component of integrated vector management for the reduction of malaria transmission in Botswana by complementing long-lasting insecticide nets and indoor residual sprays. Objective: To evaluate the susceptibility of local Anopheles to commonly used larvicides. Design: This field test of the efficacy of Bacillus thuringiensis subsp. israliensis vs. Anopheles was performed by measuring larval density before treatment and 24 h and 48 h after treatment in seven sites of Bobirwa district, eastern Botswana, in 2012 and 2013. Vector density and malaria cases were compared between Bobirwa and Ngami (northwestern Botswana), with no larviciding in the control arm. Results: Larviciding reduced larval density by 95% in Bobirwa in 2012, with two cases of malaria, while in 2013 larval density reduction was 81%, with 11 cases. Adult mosquito density was zero for both years in Robelela village (Bobirwa), compared to respectively four and 26 adult mosquitoes per room in Shorobe village (Ngami) in 2012 and 2013. There were no cases of malaria in Robelela in either year, but in Shorobe there were 20 and 70 cases, respectively, in 2012 and 2013. Conclusion: Larviciding can reduce the larval density of mosquitoes and reduce malaria transmission in Botswana. Large-scale, targeted implementation of larviciding in districts at high risk for malaria is recommended.
- Field effectiveness of microbial larvicides on mosquito larvae in malaria areas of Botswana and Zimbabwe.
- Authors: Mpofu M, Becker P, Mudambo K, de Jager C
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 6
- Routine implementation costs of larviciding with Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis against malaria vectors in a district in rural Burkina Faso.
- Authors: Dambach P, Schleicher M, Stahl HC, Traoré I, Becker N, Kaiser A, Sié A, Sauerborn R
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 22
- Reduction of malaria vector mosquitoes in a large-scale intervention trial in rural Burkina Faso using Bti based larval source management.
- Authors: Dambach P, Baernighausen T, Traoré I, Ouedraogo S, Sié A, Sauerborn R, Becker N, Louis VR
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 14
- Evaluation of long-lasting microbial larvicide for malaria vector control in Kenya.
- Authors: Afrane YA, Mweresa NG, Wanjala CL, Gilbreath Iii TM, Zhou G, Lee MC, Githeko AK, Yan G
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 1
- Bacterial larvicides used for malaria vector control in sub-Saharan Africa: review of their effectiveness and operational feasibility.
- Authors: Derua YA, Kweka EJ, Kisinza WN, Githeko AK, Mosha FW
- Issue date: 2019 Aug 30