Is there a correlation between malaria incidence and IRS coverage in western Zambezi region, Namibia?
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPublic Health Action
AbstractSetting: A comparison of routine Namibia National Malaria Programme data (reported) vs. household survey data (administrative) on indoor residual spraying (IRS) in western Zambezi region, Namibia, for the 2014-2015 malaria season. Objectives: To determine 1) IRS coverage (administrative and reported), 2) its effect on malaria incidence, and 3) reasons for non-uptake of IRS in western Zambezi region, Namibia, for the 2014-2015 malaria season. Design: This was a descriptive study. Results: IRS coverage in western Zambezi region was low, ranging from 42.3% to 52.2% for administrative coverage vs. 45.9-66.7% for reported coverage. There was no significant correlation between IRS coverage and malaria incidence for this region (r = -0.45, P = 0.22). The main reasons for households not being sprayed were that residents were not at home during spraying times or that spray operators did not visit the households. Conclusions: IRS coverage in western Zambezi region, Namibia, was low during the 2014-2015 malaria season because of poor community engagement and awareness of times for spray operations within communities. Higher IRS coverage could be achieved through improved community engagement. Better targeting of the highest risk areas by the use of malaria surveillance will be required to mitigate malaria transmission.
- A cross-sectional analysis of ITN and IRS coverage in Namibia in 2013.
- Authors: Allcock SH, Young EH, Sandhu MS
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 16
- Accuracy and impact of spatial aids based upon satellite enumeration to improve indoor residual spraying spatial coverage.
- Authors: Bridges DJ, Pollard D, Winters AM, Winters B, Sikaala C, Renn S, Larsen DA
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 23
- Assessing malaria risk at night-time venues in a low-transmission setting: a time-location sampling study in Zambezi, Namibia.
- Authors: Jacobson JO, Smith JL, Cueto C, Chisenga M, Roberts K, Hsiang M, Gosling R, Mumbengegwi D, Bennett A
- Issue date: 2019 May 22
- An investigation of the Plasmodium falciparum malaria epidemic in Kavango and Zambezi regions of Namibia in 2016.
- Authors: Chanda E, Arshad M, Khaloua A, Zhang W, Namboze J, Uusiku P, Angula AH, Gausi K, Tiruneh D, Islam QM, Kolivras K, Haque U
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 1
- Open-source satellite enumeration to map households: planning and targeting indoor residual spraying for malaria.
- Authors: Kamanga A, Renn S, Pollard D, Bridges DJ, Chirwa B, Pinchoff J, Larsen DA, Winters AM
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 17