Advances in malaria elimination in Botswana: a dramatic shift to parasitological diagnosis, 2008-2014
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPublic Health Action
AbstractBackground: Malaria elimination requires infection detection using quality assured diagnostics and appropriate treatment regimens. Although Botswana is moving towards malaria elimination, reports of unconfirmed cases may jeopardise this effort. This study aimed to determine the proportion of cases treated for malaria that were confirmed by rapid diagnostic testing (RDT) and/or microscopy. Methods: This was a retrospective descriptive study using routine national data from the integrated disease surveillance and case-based surveillance systems from 2008 to 2014. The data were categorised into clinical and confirmed cases each year. An analysis of the data on cases registered in three districts that reported approximately 70% of all malaria cases was performed, stratified by year, type of reporting health facilities and diagnostic method. Results: During 2008-2014, 50 487 cases of malaria were reported in Botswana, and the proportion of RDT and/or blood microscopy confirmed cases improved from 6% in 2008 to 89% in 2013. The total number of malaria cases decreased by 97% in the same period, then increased by 41% in 2013. Conclusion: This study shows that malaria diagnostic tests dramatically improved malaria diagnosis and consequently reduced the malaria burden in Botswana. The study identified a need to build capacity on microscopy for species identification, parasite quantification and guiding treatment choices.
- Driving towards malaria elimination in Botswana by 2018: progress on case-based surveillance, 2013-2014.
- Authors: Motlaleng M, Edwards J, Namboze J, Butt W, Moakofhi K, Obopile M, Manzi M, Takarinda KC, Zachariah R, Owiti P, Oumer N, Mosweunyane T
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 25
- Malaria elimination in Botswana, 2012-2014: achievements and challenges.
- Authors: Chihanga S, Haque U, Chanda E, Mosweunyane T, Moakofhi K, Jibril HB, Motlaleng M, Zhang W, Glass GE
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 24
- Comprehensive competency assessment of malaria microscopists and laboratory diagnostic service capacity in districts stratified for malaria elimination in Ethiopia.
- Authors: Nega D, Abebe A, Abera A, Gidey B, G/Tsadik A, Tasew G
- Issue date: 2020
- Malaria control in Botswana, 2008-2012: the path towards elimination.
- Authors: Simon C, Moakofhi K, Mosweunyane T, Jibril HB, Nkomo B, Motlaleng M, Ntebela DS, Chanda E, Haque U
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 20
- Rapid diagnostic tests for malaria and health workers' adherence to test results at health facilities in Zambia.
- Authors: Manyando C, Njunju EM, Chileshe J, Siziya S, Shiff C
- Issue date: 2014 May 2