Driving towards malaria elimination in Botswana by 2018: progress on case-based surveillance, 2013-2014
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPublic Health Action
AbstractBackground: Reliable information reporting systems ensure that all malaria cases are tested, treated and tracked to avoid further transmission. Botswana aimed to eliminate malaria by 2018, and surveillance is key. This study focused on assessing the uptake of the new malaria case-based surveillance (CBS) system introduced in 2012, which captures information on malaria cases reported in the Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR) system. Methods: This was a retrospective descriptive study based on routine data focusing on Ngami, Chobe and Okavango, three high-risk districts in Botswana. Aggregated data variables were extracted from the IDSR and compared with data from the CBS. Results: The IDSR reported 456 malaria cases in 2013 and 1346 in 2014, of which respectively only 305 and 884 were reported by the CBS. The CBS reported 34% fewer cases than the IDSR system, indicating substantial differences between the two systems. The key malaria indicators with the greatest variability among the districts included in the study were case identification number and date of diagnosis. Conclusion: The IDSR and CBS systems are essential for malaria elimination, as shown by the significant gaps in reporting between the two systems. These findings highlight the need for further investigation into these discrepancies. Strengthening the CBS system will help to reach the objective of malaria elimination in Botswana.
- Advances in malaria elimination in Botswana: a dramatic shift to parasitological diagnosis, 2008-2014.
- Authors: Moakofhi K, Edwards JK, Motlaleng M, Namboze J, Butt W, Obopile M, Mosweunyane T, Manzi M, Takarinda KC, Owiti P
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 25
- Malaria control in Botswana, 2008-2012: the path towards elimination.
- Authors: Simon C, Moakofhi K, Mosweunyane T, Jibril HB, Nkomo B, Motlaleng M, Ntebela DS, Chanda E, Haque U
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 20
- Evaluation of the integrated disease surveillance and response system for infectious diseases control in northern Ghana.
- Authors: Adokiya MN, Awoonor-Williams JK, Barau IY, Beiersmann C, Mueller O
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 4
- Malaria elimination in Botswana, 2012-2014: achievements and challenges.
- Authors: Chihanga S, Haque U, Chanda E, Mosweunyane T, Moakofhi K, Jibril HB, Motlaleng M, Zhang W, Glass GE
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 24
- Assessment of the usefulness of integrated disease surveillance and response on suspected ebola cases in the Brong Ahafo Region, Ghana.
- Authors: Issah K, Nartey K, Amoah R, Bachan EG, Aleeba J, Yeetey E, Letsa T
- Issue date: 2015