Tuberculosis in Visceral Leishmaniasis-Human Immunodeficiency Virus Coinfection: An Evidence Gap in Improving Patient Outcomes?
MetadataShow full item record
JournalOpen Forum Infectious Diseases
AbstractVisceral leishmaniasis (VL)-human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) coinfection remains a major problem in Ethiopia, India, and Brazil. Tuberculosis (TB), a treatable factor, could contribute to high mortality (up to 25%) in VL-HIV coinfection. However, the current evidence on the prevalence and clinical impact of TB in VL-HIV coinfection is very limited. In previous reports on routine care, TB prevalence ranged from 5.7% to 29.7%, but information on how and when TB was diagnosed was lacking.
PublisherOxford University Press
- Combination Treatment for Visceral Leishmaniasis Patients Coinfected with Human Immunodeficiency Virus in India.
- Authors: Mahajan R, Das P, Isaakidis P, Sunyoto T, Sagili KD, Lima MA, Mitra G, Kumar D, Pandey K, Van Geertruyden JP, Boelaert M, Burza S
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 15
- Visceral leishmaniasis treatment outcome and its determinants in northwest Ethiopia.
- Authors: Welay GM, Alene KA, Dachew BA
- Issue date: 2016
- Prevalence of Human Immunodeficiency Virus and associated factors among Visceral Leishmaniasis infected patients in Northwest Ethiopia: a facility based cross-sectional study.
- Authors: Alemayehu M, Wubshet M, Mesfin N, Gebayehu A
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 17
- Liposomal amphotericin B for visceral leishmaniasis in human immunodeficiency virus-coinfected patients: 2-year treatment outcomes in Bihar, India.
- Authors: Sinha PK, van Griensven J, Pandey K, Kumar N, Verma N, Mahajan R, Kumar P, Kumar R, Das P, Mitra G, Flevaud L, Ferreyra C, Remartinez D, Pece M, Palma PP
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Antigen Detection in Urine for Noninvasive Diagnosis and Treatment Monitoring of Visceral Leishmaniasis in Human Immunodeficiency Virus Coinfected Patients: An Exploratory Analysis from Ethiopia.
- Authors: Vogt F, Mengesha B, Asmamaw H, Mekonnen T, Fikre H, Takele Y, Adem E, Mohammed R, Ritmeijer K, Adriaensen W, Melsew Y, van Griensven J, Diro E
- Issue date: 2018 Oct