Acquisition of virulence genes by a carrier strain gave rise to the ongoing epidemics of meningococcal disease in West Africa
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn the African meningitis belt, a region of sub-Saharan Africa comprising 22 countries from Senegal in the west to Ethiopia in the east, large epidemics of serogroup A meningococcal meningitis have occurred periodically. After gradual introduction from 2010 of mass vaccination with a monovalent meningococcal A conjugate vaccine, serogroup A epidemics have been eliminated. Starting in 2013, the northwestern part of Nigeria has been affected by yearly outbreaks of meningitis caused by a novel strain of serogroup C Neisseria meningitidis (NmC). In 2015, the strain spread to the neighboring country Niger, where it caused a severe epidemic. Following a relative calm in 2016, the largest ever recorded epidemic of NmC broke out in Nigeria in 2017. Here, we describe the recent evolution of this new outbreak strain and show how the acquisition of capsule genes and virulence factors by a strain previously circulating asymptomatically in the African population led to the emergence of a virulent pathogen. This study illustrates the power of long-read whole-genome sequencing, combined with Illumina sequencing, for high-resolution epidemiological investigations.
PublisherNational Academy of Sciences
- Emergence of epidemic Neisseria meningitidis serogroup C in Niger, 2015: an analysis of national surveillance data.
- Authors: Sidikou F, Zaneidou M, Alkassoum I, Schwartz S, Issaka B, Obama R, Lingani C, Tate A, Ake F, Sakande S, Ousmane S, Zanguina J, Seidou I, Nzeyimana I, Mounkoro D, Abodji O, Wang X, Taha MK, Moulia-Pelat JP, Pana A, Kadade G, Ronveaux O, Novak R, Oukem-Boyer OOM, Meyer S, MenAfriNet consortium.
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- Whole-Genome Characterization of Epidemic Neisseria meningitidis Serogroup C and Resurgence of Serogroup W, Niger, 2015.
- Authors: Kretz CB, Retchless AC, Sidikou F, Issaka B, Ousmane S, Schwartz S, Tate AH, Pana A, Njanpop-Lafourcade BM, Nzeyimana I, Nse RO, Deghmane AE, Hong E, Brynildsrud OB, Novak RT, Meyer SA, Oukem-Boyer OOM, Ronveaux O, Caugant DA, Taha MK, Wang X, Niger Response Team.
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Emergence of serogroup X meningococcal disease in Africa: need for a vaccine.
- Authors: Xie O, Pollard AJ, Mueller JE, Norheim G
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 12
- Emergence and control of epidemic meningococcal meningitis in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Authors: Mohammed I, Iliyasu G, Habib AG
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Microbiological and epidemiological investigation of the Neisseria meningitidis serogroup A epidemic in Niger in 2009: last wave before the introduction of the serogroup A meningococcal conjugate vaccine?
- Authors: Collard JM, Maman Z, Abani A, Mainasara HB, Djibo S, Yacouba H, Maitournam R, Sidikou F, Nicolas P, Rocourt J, Jusot JF
- Issue date: 2011 Nov