When Helping Babies Breathe Is Not Enough: Designing a Novel, Mid-Level Neonatal Resuscitation Algorithm for Médecins Sans Frontières Field Teams Working in Low-Resource Hospital Settings
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNeonatal resuscitation (NR) combines a set of life-saving interventions in order to stabilize compromised newborns at birth or when critically ill. Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders (MSF), as an international medical-humanitarian organization working particularly in low-resource settings (LRS), assisted over 250,000 births in obstetric and newborn care aid projects in 2016 and provides thousands of newborn resuscitations annually. The Helping Babies Breathe (HBB) program has been used as formal guidance for basic resuscitation since 2012. However, in some MSF projects with the capacity to provide more advanced NR interventions but a lack of adapted guidance, staff have felt prompted to create their own advanced algorithms, which runs counter to the organization's aim for standardized protocols in all aspects of its care.
- Implementation and evaluation of the Helping Babies Breathe curriculum in three resource limited settings: does Helping Babies Breathe save lives? A study protocol.
- Authors: Bang A, Bellad R, Gisore P, Hibberd P, Patel A, Goudar S, Esamai F, Goco N, Meleth S, Derman RJ, Liechty EA, McClure E, Carlo WA, Wright LL
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 26
- Evaluation of Helping Babies Breathe Quality Improvement Cycle (HBB-QIC) on retention of neonatal resuscitation skills six months after training in Nepal.
- Authors: Kc A, Wrammert J, Nelin V, Clark RB, Ewald U, Peterson S, Målqvist M
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 11
- Helping Babies Breathe, Second Edition: A Model for Strengthening Educational Programs to Increase Global Newborn Survival.
- Authors: Kamath-Rayne BD, Thukral A, Visick MK, Schoen E, Amick E, Deorari A, Cain CJ, Keenan WJ, Singhal N, Little GA, Niermeyer S
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 3
- Cost analysis of large-scale implementation of the 'Helping Babies Breathe' newborn resuscitation-training program in Tanzania.
- Authors: Chaudhury S, Arlington L, Brenan S, Kairuki AK, Meda AR, Isangula KG, Mponzi V, Bishanga D, Thomas E, Msemo G, Azayo M, Molinier A, Nelson BD
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 1
- Improvements in the delivery of resuscitation and newborn care after Helping Babies Breathe training.
- Authors: Kamath-Rayne BD, Josyula S, Rule ARL, Vasquez JC
- Issue date: 2017 Oct