The initial effectiveness of liposomal amphotericin B (AmBisome) and miltefosine combination for treatment of visceral leishmaniasis in HIV co-infected patients in Ethiopia: A retrospective cohort study
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases
AbstractNorth-west Ethiopia faces the highest burden world-wide of visceral leishmaniasis (VL) and HIV co-infection. VL-HIV co-infected patients have higher (initial) parasitological failure and relapse rates than HIV-negative VL patients. Whereas secondary prophylaxis reduces the relapse rate, parasitological failure rates remain high with the available antileishmanial drugs, especially when administered as monotherapy. We aimed to determine the initial effectiveness (parasitologically-confirmed cure) of a combination of liposomal amphotericin B (AmBisome) and miltefosine for treatment of VL in HIV co-infected patients.
PublisherPublic Library of Science
- Limited effectiveness of high-dose liposomal amphotericin B (AmBisome) for treatment of visceral leishmaniasis in an Ethiopian population with high HIV prevalence.
- Authors: Ritmeijer K, ter Horst R, Chane S, Aderie EM, Piening T, Collin SM, Davidson RN
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- A randomized trial of AmBisome monotherapy and AmBisome and miltefosine combination to treat visceral leishmaniasis in HIV co-infected patients in Ethiopia.
- Authors: Diro E, Blesson S, Edwards T, Ritmeijer K, Fikre H, Admassu H, Kibret A, Ellis SJ, Bardonneau C, Zijlstra EE, Soipei P, Mutinda B, Omollo R, Kimutai R, Omwalo G, Wasunna M, Tadesse F, Alves F, Strub-Wourgaft N, Hailu A, Alexander N, Alvar J
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- Combination Treatment for Visceral Leishmaniasis Patients Coinfected with Human Immunodeficiency Virus in India.
- Authors: Mahajan R, Das P, Isaakidis P, Sunyoto T, Sagili KD, Lima MA, Mitra G, Kumar D, Pandey K, Van Geertruyden JP, Boelaert M, Burza S
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 15
- Visceral leishmaniasis and HIV co-infection in Bihar, India: long-term effectiveness and treatment outcomes with liposomal amphotericin B (AmBisome).
- Authors: Burza S, Mahajan R, Sinha PK, van Griensven J, Pandey K, Lima MA, Sanz MG, Sunyoto T, Kumar S, Mitra G, Kumar R, Verma N, Das P
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Safety and efficacy of short course combination regimens with AmBisome, miltefosine and paromomycin for the treatment of visceral leishmaniasis (VL) in Bangladesh.
- Authors: Rahman R, Goyal V, Haque R, Jamil K, Faiz A, Samad R, Ellis S, Balasegaram M, Boer MD, Rijal S, Strub-Wourgaft N, Alves F, Alvar J, Sharma B
- Issue date: 2017 May